Found an engine leak, Look.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RhettMan, Jul 12, 2008.

1. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

What should i do? I didnt buy this mower in the region that i live now, and bought it used (3 yrs ago).

Picture 4.jpg

Picture 5.jpg

Picture 6.jpg
  2. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I would get that fixed real soon.
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

looks like a kohler engine
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I think you should get that fixed also.
  5. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of mower is that? And where is the oil coming from, maybe a valve cover?
  6. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

it is a 20 hp Kohler Engine, im about illitererate about engine components as should be legal for a lco. the wet pipe in the 3rd pic connects with the muffler, as shown but kinda shaddowed in the 1st pic. it seems to be coming from above that pipe.
  7. CrewKut

CrewKut LawnSite Member

If that is the manifold (pipe) going to the muffler that has the oil dripping on it, then do not run the engine for any length of time, because it could easily catch fire. Then you would have a lot more problems.

If you are not comfortable fixing it then take it to a professional, someone that knows what they are doing. Either way it needs to be fixed now before more serious problems develop. Good luck.

8. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

9. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

I Ditto what was mentioned- I seen a couple commercial mowers burned out- Sad indeed. Last one I saw guy had was a Grass Hopper..burnt beyond repair- That oil on exhaust could easly catch on fire and get to the carb..then it's all over most likely for the mower- Please do as mentioned, and I'd do no more than drive it up on trailer. -Geno
  10. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

If it smells like a gas/oil mix, you probably have a problem with your carb (needle valve leaking - engine filling up with fuel).
    If you are as clueless as you say you are, bring it to a dealer before you even START it.