1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Found another truck for sale, what do u think of this?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lawnboy51, Aug 27, 2006.

1. lawnboy51

lawnboy51 LawnSite Member

1994 FORD 350, 4D, 4x4, 7.3 turbo diesel, just tuned up, rebuilt engine/trans, fair tires, new brakes and master cyl, new radiator and stainless steel toolbox, curtiss plow assembly

He says the truck has 159k miles on it. He had the engine rebuilt 50k miles a year ago. Interior is not in the best shape but it doesn't really need to be. The tranny still has 2 years warrenty which is transferable.

He's asking 6k. Heres a pic. What do you guys think?

845521389.207335946.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.565x328.jpg

2. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

3. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

We went down this route last year. Bought a 89 F350 Dump diesel w/130k on it. Good enough vehicle, but for the amount of time and money spent, we decided to sell it and purchase a good used truck. Yes, the out lay was more, but when compared to the time and money spent, we are actually ahead of the game.

What happens in the winter when the truck breaks down and your customers are waiting to be plowed out? In the summer, a lawn may be able to wait a day or two while the truck is repaired, but not a driveway in the winter.

I hopes this helps you.

Mark

4. jazak

from NJ

Those trucks that I posted are NOT worth the prices that they want here is what I would give.

Truck 1- $13,500 CASH
    Truck 2- $14,000 CASH
    Truck 3- $11,500 CASH
    Truck 4- $8,500 CASH & I would have it repainted
    Truck 5- $7,000 CASH
    Truck 6- $6,000 CASH

***These prices are for if the trucks are in fully working conditoin and have no machanical or physical defects.***

5. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

first,try to avoid buying a truck with a plow already installed,you have no way telling how the previous owner might have abused it.

what are you plowing?,driveways? light commercial? are you going to have to do any sanding?

the truck pictured you were looking at is too large for driveways or small commercial,try to stay around the 3/4 ton size if your thinking of doing any plowing.

6. lawnboy51

lawnboy51 LawnSite Member

Ya, those are much better trucks, buuuuuut...I can't afford a 17k truck right now. I was thinking I would get a starter truck to last a couple seasons. And I'd mostly be plowing res for now. So is this truck too long for that?

7. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

for residentials you'll need only a regular 4x4 half ton if you want a 3/4 ton its up to you.

ford or gm 3/4 tons can be found for around 5-7 grand in decent shape

8. jazak

from NJ

What about those last 3? They are much better trucks at better prices.

9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

If it didn't have the plow on the front I think it might be okay for a while. A 3/4 or 1 ton regular cab would be better suited for plowing.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

How can you plow residentials and not know what truck would work best in your area? The 1 you posted is a POS and has the turning radious of a bus. Learn what you need and wait till you can afford a decent dependable truck before taking on plowing contracts. Other wise the first time your broke in a storm you will need to start finding new customers all over again, and if there under contract it will be your responsability to pay another contractor to for fill the contract or you can be sue for breeching it.
    BTW- the 94 were the first and worst powerstrokes made.