Found concentration ounces/gallon for Drive 75df

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by topsites, Jul 4, 2005.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The instructions for this crabgrass killer are just great:
    Mix .367 ounces per 1,000 square feet.
    Gee you can use a spreader or a hose-applicator and x-amount of ounces covers an entire acre and so on...

Yes at 90 dollars a pound I am SURE to use this great product to cover the entire acre with my 120-lb. broadcast spreader on a really fine setting and wait until early morning so there is dew on the grass so it sticks. Oh, and find a neutral powder to mix it with and of course, again there is NOTHING telling you how many ounces/pound. Guess I could use the garden hose and pray the applicator mixes JUST enough drive75 with the water because if you use too much, it kills other grass, too.

Lets get real, crabgrass rarely covers the entire yard. Granted it can cover some large areas, but again, at 90 dollars/pound I am not excited to do anything except spot treatments, and what better way to do it than with a hand-held or a backpack sprayer?

So how about if I got a 2-gallon sprayer, how many F*n ounces per gallon of water do I use? .367 per 1k sq. feet don't tell me squat. Alas, one takes the gallon sprayer, fills it with water and goes off spraying a square area and figures out wow, one gallon covers 300 square feet, thus 1/10 ounce of drive per gallon of water is the correct mixture.

Still the problem persists, unless you have a digital scale the only thing they give you is a measuring cup that measures 1 or 2 ounces. The solution to this is to just cover the bottom of the cup and that's 1/10th of an ounce.

Far as the surfactant or adjuvant or whatever the heck it's called, you can get the stupid oil but that's more money and the only benefit you're looking for is to get the solution to STICK to the grass. What I found works best is run to the dollar store and buy the largest bottle of Ajax or Palmolive (they're both made by Colgate-Palmolive so it's the same stuff) hand/dishwashing detergent and put a SMALL squirt of this stuff in the solution. I like the orange detergent because it smells really good but what it does is it softens the water and this makes the solution stick.
    Tried, tested, and true.

Far as all that other stuff, must be for the birds. No wonder nobody really knows what to do about crabgrass.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I could have swore we just addressed a similar situation on another thread.
    It is all about calibration YOU have to know how much material you are putting out per M. Just like any other sprayer, you have to walk out 1000 sq. ft. (usually a few times for accuracy), and see how much material (water) is going down. With a tank sprayer, you walk it, time it, then spray a gallon into a bucket and time how long it takes to spray that gallon. You then do your division. Now, with a ride on type unit, such as the Permagreen, they tell you it sprays 34,000 sq. ft. per tank, only it doesn't. You have to take it out to a parking lot with plain water, and run a tank through, and measure to see how much actual area you've covered with overlap, etc.. THEN you know how much a gallon covers, THEN you know just how to mix your chem. per that sprayer. Now, with a backpack, you have to do the same thing. Measure an area, wet it down, figure it in to 1000 sq. ft., (easiest just to spray 1000 sq. ft. and see how much water you used. You will then know how much product to put in to that much water.

3. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

As a general rule, most hand held sprayers are calibrated to cover 1000 sq ft per gallon.

But to be on the safe side, test it out first.

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Runner
    That's a very good explanation of calibration. Don't they cover that in the licencing class? If they don't , they should.
    I also make sure I have an accurate measurement of the lawns so I know about how much procuct I should use when blanket spraying or spreading. If I use much more or less than I should, then I know something is wrong. A clogged nozzel or spreader or fliter.
    Remember Drive also works good on several broadleaf weeds. So you don't have to limit it to just a small spot.

5. Shadygrove

Shadygrove LawnSite Member

Topsite,

As Tommy stated, it's a industry excepted practice regarding hand cans and coverage. You sound hostile over an issue you obviously do not understand. All labels show coverage per 1000 or acre. It's designed to show Active Ingredient (AI) being used. Lawn Maintenance 101, understanding labels. Once you decipher the label amd know the calibration of your application equipment the light bulb will go on and you will see how simplistic the labels are to understand.

As far as dish soap, leave it in the kitchen and spend the few extra dollars for a quality surfactant. Contrary to what your spewing their is a difference.

6. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

MSO is suggested because it does NOT have sticking charteristics, just surfactant qualities. Therefore it does not stick to the leaf and will get into soil and you will gain preeemrgent charateristics from it.

7. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

the key to proper calibration is the walking speed of the individual spraying. Everyone is going to travel at different rates. You have to know how much finished spray is coming out of you sprayer type-no matter what type-and your rate of speed. practice,practice,practice.