1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

found my pricing structure for leaves.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Nov 25, 2005.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i finally found out how i base my leaf clean up prices. i charge 8.50 per 50 gallon trash bag. i tried it out the other day. did a small cleanup that consisted of 12 bags times that by 8.50 and it comes out to $102.00 for 2 hours of work. how do you all structure your prices? hourly, estimate, etc..???? thanks for all replies.
  2. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I simply charge $45.00 per hour plus the time if I have to haul them away. I often tarp them and drag them to my truck instead of bags. Works pretty quick. Although sometimes I think that I work too fast for my own good. :p I have a difficult time with estimating for an upfront price.
    Saw a guy last week doing leaves so I stopped to check him out. He's only charging $25.00 per hour but he was only using a small tine leaf rake and then raking them into the bags. That takes a lot longer so he's probably making the same amount per property as I would but not getting to as many sites per day.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

You as a solo or with helper.
  4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

that was by myself. probably no longer than 45 minutes if i had a helper.. we got one tomorrow, i'm figuring around 40-50 bags. should be a nice little chunk of money.:waving:
  5. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

Why bother with bags? I am wondering if there still is an advantage. It always seemed so long to fill one up, and they always got torn or wet. Sometimes I use a trash can and just fill the truck that way, or use a tarp with a cinch. Beats bagging time 3 to 1, but does make it harder to empty the truck if I am not using the dump truck that day.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'll have to see if the $8.50 per bag things comes close to my current pricing. I do bag quite a few, because the trash companies around here actually pick up and take away lawn debris. From what I've read that's not the case in many areas. I've never gone to the dump, ever.
  7. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

neither have I. What I can't mulch I pick up and dump on my own place. I do get lots of free compost the next year, and that saves me some pennies on fert costs plus being better for the land. I'd never spend the 50$ on the dump, when I can have fellers dumping here and paying me the $50. payup
  8. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

charging by the hour for something like leaf removal eliminates any chances of under or even over bidding your work...never know when something will go wrong and you are selling your time, not merely a service
  9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Just curious ... How are you doing the bagging? Do you have a "setup" of some kind, or are you lining out a 44 gal trash barrel, filling, then tying off and removing?

We did one job early in the leaf season with bags, only five compostable paper bags. We learned quickly that this task is very cumbersome and slow (but it saved us a trip to the dump, or otherwise having to handle them later).
  10. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

I don't know how close the $8.50 a bag is to my pricing. I use a walker with ghs (the 9.5 bushel). But based on the amount of time it took you, it seems somewhat close. I did a job that took 4 hours and charged $236 ($36 for my costs and $50/hr). Every time I bid a job, i look at it this way. What are my costs plus what do I want to make. The bottom line with pricing is that you need to know your costs. When people just give a flat amount per hour that they charge i often wonder if the costs have been figured in. Someone can charge $40/hr but after costs you might be left with $25/hr (or less). Take taxes out (hopefully) and you could be left with around $18/hr. $8.50 per bag may be a good way to price but only if by using this last job as an example you found you covered your costs and still made what you wanted to. If you did, it looks like you found a very simple way to price.