Found someone cheaper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lazer 46, Apr 5, 2004.

1. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

Had to share this with you guys. Just got an e-mail from a customer that I got at the end of last season. I did mowing and shrub trimming just one time last fall. Gave him a price for this upcomming season and he seemed happy. Sent him an e-mail last week to confirm everything we agreed on. His e-mail this morning was friendly and it said he found someone who will do the work for less but it remains to be seen what kind of job it will be. He will let me know after the first cut. I e-mailed back that I was no longer interested in his lawn no matter what. I really wanted to tell him what I thought but I remain a professional. The part that is funny is that when I first got the job he was complaining about the job that the current LCO was doing and it was a louzy job. Good riddance!!!!

2. googles

googles LawnSite Senior Member

you loose one you get two

3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Had a call this year to do a spring cleanup. Told him I'd be there monday to give him a price. He said, well just go ahead and do it, I"m sure you're prices are fair. I said ok. He called the next day and said he had to cancel because a few boys from down the street knocked on his door and said they would do it for $20. I looked at the yard yesterday and it would have been a $140 cleanup. Sickening.

4. sgrprincees

sgrprincees LawnSite Member

How much more do you think the boys could have gotten? Most businessmen charge what the market will bear, and for them they probably got the most they were able to. And what do you mean by boys? If a couple of 12 year olds want to make some money they don't have too many options. I don't see how that is sickening.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I bet you Expert that those boys won't even finish the job.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

...exactly what I was thinking. Then, you just go in and finish it for $120.

7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

They are taking jobs and pulling the market down. They obviously can't pay taxes or carry insurance. 12 year olds should be concentrating on school and extracurricular activities. If they want to work, then more power to them. Get a paper route. SGRPRINCEES, I think there's a lot that you are missing here.

8. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

We are lucky around here, the 12 year olds are too busy playing video games or spending their parents money to be doing any yard work.

9. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

WHAT???

Next you will complain about the little girls and thier lemonade stand. After all why not? They are taking work away from a professional lemon squeezer? What about the professional paper delivery guy? Why should that little kid on a bike be allowed to deliver papers?

Whine and complain....

10. sgrprincees

sgrprincees LawnSite Member

If they should be concentrating on school and extracurricular activities, wouldn't a paper route interfere with that too? All you want is for them to stay out of your business. Raking a yard isn't very dangerous. You are right they aren't paying taxes or insured. Would they pay taxes on their earnings from delivering newspapers? Why would they need insurance, so if they break a window with a rake it gets repaired? There are lots of worse ways to make money as a kid, and not too many better ones.

I understand not wanting to do work for somebody after they have decided to go with somebody cheaper and less reputable. I understand being irritated with people who can't sustain a business on what they are charging. I understand being fed up with people who don't pay overtime or social security or worker's comp. But I don't understand being irritated with people who are just willing to work for less than you are and still make a profit.