Found something that works like gold!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by racer56, Aug 2, 2007.

1. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

This is our first full year in this area. It has had it's ups and downs for sure. I'm on the uper end as far as price around here but do alot better work than most. Problem was I had a hard time staying busy but didn't want to lower my prices just to stay out in the hot sun burning up my truck, equipment and fuel:rolleyes: . I have been in several sales jobs and try to dress well(co. shirts,pants, and hat) nice trucks, nice trailers and so on. Well most thought I was too much money and several commented on how much money I must be making to afford it all.
    I took a hard look at some of the other companies not in this industry but other contractors and talked with a few of them. Here is what I found... I changed everything! I sold off both trucks and bought one really old (92) dually 1 ton and an 85 1/2 ton, grew a beard, wear shorts and a ball cap, give them my number on a torn out piece of paper, took all signs off my truck(big one here), stopped cleaning the equipment every few days just to give it a worn out look and started telling everyone that I just do this part time whe I can after my other job. Best part is a went up to 40 min on mowing period and am closing 8 of 10 folks I talk to all at higher prices than what they are used to :dancing: .
    They see that old truck and think I must just be getting by, I love it. It also helps to wait a few days at least to call them back as they know you are very busy and if they had any intention of wasting your time they will just go on to the next guy. Near as I can tell this is the worst business advice in history but it is working great for me. We went from having a hard time to flooded with good paying work, go figure :drinkup:
  2. Bigray

Bigray LawnSite Member

u r freakin trying to start something here are'nt you. ?

this should be good for some giggles!

congrats on your newfound bus.
    that's what out of the box thinking can do i guess.
  3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Damn it! I knew it was the beard part.... I wish I could grow a beard!!! Do you think if I let my unibrow grow out, it would do the same for me???
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Psychological marketing.... I love it... LOL
  5. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

I know it is opposite of how it should be done but I guess the proof is in the dollars at the bank :clapping: . I guess they think if you are just getting by then that must be a lower price than someone else? Not very many folks like to see someone else doing better than them. I had a lady ask if I had a business card today and I told her I could try and find something in the truck to write down my number on but haven't been able to afford business cards. I had a hard time keeping a straight face while bidding the work to her. This lady NEVER would have hired me with the normal stuff I had. Has anyone found this to work for them? I've been just chomping at the bit to call a few back that called and left a message today but will wait until Friday late per instructions,lol. Most of the guys around here say if you wait them out abit the ones that will pay well will be ready to unload the bucks and just be glad to have you. This has been the case since I stated doing this and of course has saved a ton of fuel as well.
  6. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

I need to start growing more facial hair then
  7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

This is very interesting...I like the humble approach! You should name your business Humble Lawncare
  8. acm8705

acm8705 LawnSite Member

I don't know if I should believe this advice, or take it as a game your trying to play. I think you're using reverse psychology.

I don't think I could keep a straight face when trying to play off like I'm just getting by.
  9. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Good advice ? If it works for you then use it, as for me i like to keep equipment and trucks cleen as possiable.Name on truck and so on. and allways return calls asap.
  10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You hit that right on the head, people have always wanted to help the needy. You can bet that will work every time as long as you don't get to the point you look like you are going to steal from them.