1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Found Toro proline/need opinion

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by outrunjason, Aug 31, 2002.

1. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I was on a payphone and looked up and saw a Toro Proline commercial mower rolling across a major street. I looked around and didn't see where it came from. This street has 3 lanes in each direction. A lady stopped and pulled the mower out of the street. I raced over to where she left the mower.

When I got to the mower there were now 2 other ladies there attempting to take it. I told the ladies it was my mower and they tried to tell me that the mower had caused an accident. Which I didn't see.

After convincing them it was mine I waited to see if the lawn company would come back and get it. After 15 min and a lot of people comeing by and asking if I was selling it I loaded it in my trunck and left.

I want to do the right thing so I called the police department to report that I had found it and they said they would come pick it up and if no one claimed it, it would be put in an auction. After hearing that I didn't make a report cause I need this mower. So, for the last few days I have just been calling to see if someone has made a report on missing one. No one has called missing one.

Question: When do I stop calling and claim the mower as mine? Or, do I turn it in and let it go to the auction if no one claims it?

Thanks, Jason

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Tough call. Mower might have a "spell" on it if you decide to keep it. Check the obituaries to see if any lawncare technicians have died. I would put an ad in the lost and found section. Was the mower running when you found it???

3. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

The mower runs better than my 2 year old proline with the 5.5 hp. The one that I found is an older model with the TV5002. The pull rope is worn, it needs a new handle, a new flap on the back, maybe some new tires and cables before next year. Most of the repairs look to be from wear and tear whereas the handles is from bent from falling off whatever it was on.

4. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

do what your conscience tells you.

i myself would turn it in, and if it ends up yours great.
  5. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I would put a add in the lost and found for 2 weeks, post a sign in the area where found and call the police for 2 weeks. If no one claims it after 2 weeks, I'd keep it.
  6. trimmasters

trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member

Finders keepers.
  7. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

You tried to find an owner. I would no pay money to put in a found ad in the paper or let it go to auction. Obviously the mower needs a little dough pumped into it. If you tried for two weeks to find an owner through the police, then its yours. Just add it to your trailer. The only trouble you could have is if you bring it to the dealer since the serial numbers are used to find stolen equip.
  8. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

TURN IT IN. What if the shoe was on the other foot, and it was your mower someone had "found"? I'm sure the owner sweated for it.
  9. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

One more thing my guess is you know the right thing to do. You probably don't feel right about lying to the people present and "convincing them it was mine" when it clearly wasn't. keeping it woulndn't be much better than "finding equipment on an unattended trailer " and helping yourself, would it ?
  10. lrose2

lrose2 LawnSite Member

You say you want to do the right thing. Do the right thing and turn it in!