1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

foundation watering system?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by burnandreturn, Mar 28, 2004.

1. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

We live in North Texas and have alot of shifting of the foundation because of the change in moisture of the ground. Now we have soaker hoses buried all around the house. A local landscape contractor told me about a system that has moisture sensors. The contractor didn't know the name of the system. Anyone ever hear of something like this?
  2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Ok I am no where near Texas , I am trying to figure out what type of soil conditions you have that cause a foundation to shift.
  3. hmorgan911

hmorgan911 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Mostly clay, very expansive. Cracks hundres or thousands of foundations. Most new houses are now built with post tension slabs. The foundations in and of themselves aren't the big problem. I believe the biggest problem is the poor quality that most fill dirt is laid in the lots. Anyway, There are a lot of foundation probs here and we do water our foundations through out N. Texas.
  4. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

there are such things as moisture sensors..they are now sold with et timers.
  5. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

You can add soil moisture automation to any irrigation controller that has a rain sensor terminal. The Irrometer Co.(www.irrometer.com) has such a devise called the Watermark. Check with any local irrigation distributor in Texas.