Fountain design suggestions

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by NightLightingFX, Aug 23, 2008.

1. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member

Attached is a drawing of the fountain design. Any lighting ideas. The pool will have a black bottom. I am planning on 5 up lights directly below the first bowl. 3 up lights in the 1st bowl shinning up on the 2nd bowl. 2 lights in the 2nd bowl up lighting the fountain of water. It would be ideal to have 10 lights shinning horizontally in the water from the sides of the pool towards the center. Maybe I can get by with 5 lights shinning into the center. Or maybe it might look nice having 5 lights shine out from the center?

fountain.JPG

2. NightLightingFX

Also, regarding connections for a water feature like this. Will the Nightscaping Ace connectors do the job. I don't think I can avoid having connections exposed to water. Any suggestions regarding connections?
    ~Ned

3. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

I would never make a connection in a submersed application. I thought most submersible fixture came with at least a 20 ft leader. Plus a company like copper moon will put any size leader on there for you. Just make sure they make the connection inside the connection. Otherwise you still have a connection in standing water. Shrink wrap or not things do fail overtime. Thats why this is yet another advantage to fiber optic lighting. But if all else fails make sure you make your connections in some sort of water proof junction box. Take a trip down to your electrical supply house and they can probably steer you in the right direction. Go to a high end comercial location in your area and see what other have done. This is going to be a big step in the right direction for the advancement of your company. You do not want to do something that is going to fail overtime.

4. NightLightingFX

I will have to engineer this so that I have 35 foot leads on all fixtures. All the leads will have to come out of the pool and then I will connect these leads to my homeruns out of the pool.
    ~Ned

5. NightLightingFX

I don't think this is possible. If I were to have 15 fixture can you imagine how difficult that will be to phish through 15 cables of low voltage wire through conduit.

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Just because you wouldnt do it doesnt mean its not possible to do it and do it right. When companies add leads they generally splice off the pig tails anyways. There are companies who make under water junction boxes but they can get expensive. Last time I did a multi tier fountain I made the connections inside the center pillar and was able to secure it up and out of the water. That was over 2 years ago and its still working fine.

FOLD has some stuff for making underwater splices. Cant rememeber who they are from.. SPJ or aurora or something like that.

7. NightLightingFX

Since they haven't built this yet. We need to have the pool guy put lights in the side of the pool.

8. NightLightingFX

Billy,
    What kind of fixtures did you use?
    ~Ned

9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Existing. It was a reinstallation of an install gone bad by a landscaper. I think they were coronas.

Run main cables of 10 or 12 ga up to each tier thru the conduits in the center. Run a main up to each tier. I would use 10ga in case you need to bump the wattages then make your connection at each tier. If you dont think you can do it then pass on the project and let someone who can.

10. NightLightingFX

I will figure out a way to do it. There is no one else in my area that can come close to doing this except me.