Fountain of Youth

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Feb 5, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Some high school kids were trying to dig holes for a bench support today with a post hole digger. Tomorrow we'll be repairing the 2-1/2" main line. Should have seen the panicked look on everyone's faces when I showed up. :laugh:

Riverbend Main Line Break 2-5-07 IV-01.jpg

2. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

i bet they were pretty panicked! they even left their tools behind!

3. I guess they didn't know about Purps U.S.A. service. Just like the real one, I'm sure he would of done it for free.

By the way, lucky the weather has been warming up. At least it won't be too cold to work in.

4. PurpHaze

When I arrived there was a group of about four high school students and two teachers just off to camera left front. The principal (great guy) and the site custodian (an Amazon warrior) were in the pump enclosure (camera left rear) attempting to figure out how to shut the thing down from a combination of four valves and two different backflows (pump supplies three complete school sites and part of a high school). When I arrived the gleeful shout went up, "Hayes is here!" I took the picture and then nonchalantly strolled over to the pump enclosure where I instructed the site custodian as to what to shut down so she'd know in the future. Now they both know in the event of another irrigation emergency. :)

5. PurpHaze

OK... Here's the story. The guy that works with me (Leo... truly a very hard worker) has only been with me for the past year and had little history on this site. He'd gone out in the morning and repaired a lateral line they'd hit with their first post hole experience. When asked where they could put the holes Leo diligently marked a spot about five feet away not knowing there was a main line there. I did. :laugh:

When we got done with the repairs this morning I located a spot that seems to be free of irrigation pipes, at least I'm positive there is no main line in that area. I told them that if they came across a lateral line to just go ahead and use the hole and we'd reroute around them. I'm not too concerned about lateral lines but very protective of main lines and wiring. :)

Too friggin' warm down here for me. And now we start Daylight Savings Time on March 11th! :dizzy:

6. PurpHaze

Here's the repair pics. There's extra ones in the series as I've had a couple of PMs asking how we do the Dresser couplings on larger main lines. Leo insisted on doing all the hard work because he felt bad about the main getting hit. I told him to not sweat it (hell... not a mistake that he can make that I haven't already made in the past) and took the pictures as he made the repairs. Pics will finish on next post.

Riverbend Main Line Break 2-5-07 IV-02.jpg

Riverbend Main Line Break 2-5-07 IV-03.jpg

Riverbend Main Line Break 2-5-07 IV-04.jpg

Riverbend Main Line Break 2-5-07 IV-05.jpg

7. PurpHaze

Last of the repair pics. It was a 3" main line and not 2-1/2" as I first suspected. That area is about 20' away.

Riverbend Main Line Break 2-5-07 IV-06.jpg

Riverbend Main Line Break 2-5-07 IV-07.jpg

Riverbend Main Line Break 2-5-07 IV-08.jpg

Riverbend Main Line Break 2-5-07 IV-09.jpg

8. mikecaldwell1204

mikecaldwell1204 LawnSite Member

purp,
    what are the advantages of using the dresser couplings and pipe over using a slip-fix?

9. laylow1994

laylow1994 LawnSite Member

yea why didnt you use a slip fix.. would of been alot easier..... slip fix is my best friend!!!!

10. PurpHaze

I've never (in 25 years) had to go back in on any of our Dresser couplings (2-1/2" to 8" sizes). :)

I've replace plenty of plumber's and "do-gooders" Slip Fixes installed on main lines that have failed. :dizzy: