1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fountain Question

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by mmacsek, Jun 15, 2008.

1. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

First, Let me say this is for my home and have no intention in doing water features for hire. I do lawn and landscape maint. and removed a fountain for a customer. It had been abandoned for a long time and overgrown with junipers. The bottom part is about 3 feet in diameter and the statue that sits onthe top is about 30" tall. I got the tube cleared that the water flows opened up. My question is where does the water go to supply the fountain and what do you call them? I know I will need some sort of pump and the water supply reservoir. Also Does the reservoir sit above or below the ground? I don't remember seeing one above the ground when I removed. Thanks for any help and direction. Matt

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like you may be missing some parts or I am misunderstanding you. The bottom would be called the pool and should be about 2-3 times wider than the lowest bowl. So if your "bowl" is 3' wide you want your pool to be minimum 6' across to minimize the over splash from the fountain.

I am not sure if your 3' piece is a bowl, very shallow the water just flows over the edge, or a pool usually 6"-8" deep. If it is a pool there should be a cavity below the statue to house a pump. If it is a bowl you are missing a pedestal and a pool. The pedestal should have a cavity to house the pump.

Hope this is not too confusing good luck.

3. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Az, I believe I'm missing a part,the pedestal. The bottom piece is shallow so that would make it a pool. I will try and get some pictures and post. Give me a little time. Thanks for the quick reply. Matt