four stroke trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by granville, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Right The fueling strategy and lubrication system have nothing to do with the design of the engine with regard to generation of power through the firing cycles. To be sure, four stroke has many more parts than a two cycle, but the design of the 4-Mix engines is four stroke.

2. mikeypizano

mikeypizano LawnSite Senior Member

Got to make sure people know to run MIXED gas in them, since people always think 4 stoke = straight gas.

3. ALEX'S LANDSCAPING

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING LawnSite Senior Member

4 Mix = 4 stroke engine that operates on 2-stroke fuel for lubrication. There you go simple as that!! :clapping:

4. BOSS LAWN 2343

BOSS LAWN 2343 LawnSite Senior Member

I've never ran mixed gas in my 4 strokes...

Would it hurt if I ran a tank of 40:1 or 50:1 mix through them?

5. mikeypizano

mikeypizano LawnSite Senior Member

No, you can't do that. Stihl has the gas pass over the valves into the lower crank case, to lubricate everything.

6. rednecklimo85

rednecklimo85 LawnSite Member

Buying a 4 stroke was the best thing I ever did. It's quieter, less finicky, sooo much more torque. I hardly have to touch the throttle the cut through most stuff. I'm sure its not recommended but with the brush cutter attachment I can cut through a 1" sapling with out much trouble.

With the roto-tiller I can throw small rocks out of the ground and cut through roots. Def worth it to go 4 stroke.

It's a 29cc so it is heavier but well worth it

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  7. BOSS LAWN 2343

BOSS LAWN 2343 LawnSite Senior Member

8. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Why do you ask?
    You mean you run mixed gas in a 4 stroke that has separate oil like Honda trimmers? For one tank, I don't think that would hurt. I won't make a habit out of it. I dump the older mix into my cheap mower on and off and is still running.

I don't see any thing that can damage the engine, just extra carbon build up. Something you should be able to clean with Sea Foam if it is just one tankful.

Now the opposite will be bad......If you run 4Mix or C4 with no oil in it......then you'll be in deep dodo.

9. ric1

ric1 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I agree for a tank or occasionally it's not going to hurt anything, the only thing it will do is probable make it smoke more than usual, I've run in my push mowers on occasion and they actually run pretty good, but as Alan said I wouldn't make a habit of it.