Fradan Backpack Blowers???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by landscaper3, Oct 25, 2000.

1. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Doing alot of business at the local shop, usally get Echo products there at great prices. We got a Echo PB600 backpack blower with throttle arm and love it, and wish we had at least one more, so here is the dilema they siad they have left over 2000 model Fradan BB-50 backpack blowers that are 42cc motors, 590CFM,236mph air speed and only 67 decibals, retails $399.99 but sell me one for $289.99 are they good and worth it?

2. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds good are the 590cfm and 236mph ratings taken at pipe end? How much does it weigh? I've only used ECHO blowers.

3. landscaper3

After looking at my invoices they will sell me 2 Fradan BB-51 blowers brand new for $499.99 plus shipping. I only need 1 but thats a good price!

4. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Brian,
    I just bought 2 of the BB-51's last week. My local dealer was discontinuing them from his line and they were the same price you mentioned, 2 for $499. We have an echo PB600 and a Stihl br-400 but with cleanups coming up soon, I figured I'd have a couple of backups available. I've been using them this week during lawn cuttings. The shoulder straps are hard and dig into you unless you are wearing a jacket. Power seems ok but leaves will be the real test. I hate those new throttle locations though. Wish they would stay with the old tube side controls. Wouldn't be my first choice, but the price was great. Very ruggedly built units too.

Mike

5. landscaper3

Thanks for your reply Mike, We also love our Echo 600 blower powerful, love the throttle arm but needed another and wasnt sure we wanted to pay $365.00 for another but you do get what you pay for. Thinking time also email me how they work on leaves thanx.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think I could use a backpack blower without a trigger/handle on the tube. It just makes more sense. The Echo's used to come only with tube mounted handle and throttle. Then they went with it on a left hand mounted flexi-stick that just seemed bass ackwards. Now they are back the way they should be.

What engine are the Fradan's using? Saw a walkbehind Fradan in Landscapers Supply Catalog, but no backpacks.

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I didn't think I could get used to it either after using the BR400's, but after using the Shindaiwa EB630 with the left handed throttle, I prefer it.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

It just seems like one more thing to get knocked around on the rack or trailer. Also, how do you hold a tube without a handle? Its more of an angle than shaking someones hand. Echo offered handles to simulate where it used to be. I'd rather be playing pocket ball or pickin' the black leaf boogies out with my left hand!

9. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

not to get off the suject,but i bought a red max eb7000 and it is a very strong blower,but is is upper 400's price range-used it on leaves and you can really tell the difference from my br400.

10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

It actually has a handle on the tube, sometimes I use it sometimes just the tube. That way your hand doesn't get tired :) Man, I thought the same way about the throttle on the handle though. You gotta try it.