Fram filters for the Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnspecialties, Aug 10, 2006.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Is anyone using aftermarket filters for their engines? My 26hp liquid-cooled has a Fram I decided to use this time (the 400 hr. oil change). At Advance Auto, the filter book said the PH4967 is the cross reference for Kawasaki's. Well, something unusual happens once in a while and before I mention it, I want to see if anyone has a similar occurence. Anyone using aftermarkets and if you are, how are they working for you? Thanks

2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I use supertech 4967 on my 23 kaw, and on my 28 generac. Been working good for me for about 1.5 years

3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I have used the same filter on a Kawi FC-420V for a couple of years. I was told originally, by the owner of a LARGE mower dealership (who I grew-up with and trust tremendously) not to do it. He said the thread pitch was different. Went home, into the toolbox (I am an ex-mechanic) and took my thread pitch guage to the auto parts store along with a brand new Kawi filter. Everything was the same. I have been using the $ 3.00 Fram filter on this motor for 2 years, instaed of the $ 14.00 Kawi filter. Have never had a problem. Make sure that it is on tight. Make sure, when you take off the old filter, that the old rubber gasket is NOT left behind. I also have a small manufacturer of filter systems in my hometown. After talking to several of the machine operators at this filter manufacturing plant, they all agree with me that the filters are the same....BBBUUUTTT....if you are playing with an engine that is still under warranty...the decision is yours to make.

4. Kartracer55

Kartracer55 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

The general concensus on Fram Oil filters is that they are junk. They make a great air filter, but they just dont have it with thier oil filters. They are overpriced for what you get and I dont think they have any oil bypass system. Not good if the filter clogs up for anyreason Have any of you guys looked into a WIX filter? Good stuff

Heres one resource...

http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-oil/lubrication-oilpart5.htm

Jim

5. lawnspecialties

Good to hear these are working well.

I noticed right away the Fram filter's holes were slightly smaller than the Kawasaki's. But, there were nine holes on the Fram to eight holes on the Kawasaki.

What I've had happen maybe three or four times since switching to the Fram is when I start the mower (engine cold), approximately four or five seconds later, my warning "beeper" goes off for a split second. I'm not sure if it's a warning for oil (my level is fine), battery, or water (this level is fine, also) Since it's only happened a few times, I'm never looking at the lights when it goes off. By the time I look down, it's already quit. Was curious if anyone else had this happen? I know not every machine has the warning "beeper" like my Hustler, but most seem to have warning lights.

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

L14476 is advance auto cross something stinks i have never had a problem with these we have a 25 and a 26 lc kaw we use J-Thomas filters also we keep our oil clean at all times.

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Oh, i see you said a fram i run purolaters.

8. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

I get JD brand filters at my dealer for $6.00. Made for JD with Kaw engines.

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I am running fram and to be honest the engine runs fine oil and lube related that is. I absolutely will not pay any dealer 15 dollars for a filter that I can get at the auto store for 4 dollars.

10. lawnspecialties

Well, today I start the day and it was only around 65 degrees. Supposed to be only in the mid-70's all day. :) I thought, maybe if there's an oil filter problem, the oil might be a little thicker since it hasn't been this cool in about 3 or 4 months. Sure enough, after about 10 seconds of starting the mower the first time today, I hear the split-second "beep". I look at the lights and again, "beep" and I see the oil light flash. It does it again one more time so I rev up the engine a little to get the oil flowing and it never does it again. My guess is, the Fram isn't allowing as much circulation with thicker oil and it will only get worse as the summer ends. Looks like I'm back at square one.:confused: