Franchise Truck Measuring lawn in 12" of snow

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by velocicaur, Feb 3, 2009.

1. velocicaur

velocicaur LawnSite Member

Talk about dedication! In my subdivision the banks along the road are about 2ft and I'd say 10-14" of snow on the ground in most places.

Today in my subdivision, I saw a guy pushing a measuring wheel through these conditions. As I came around the corner, sure enough, a fertilizer franchise truck. He had to have been measuring for lot size right? What else would he be doing? :laugh:

2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

I've done it

3. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

Next week he will be fertilizing it! Kinda hard to really get a good idea where the grass is with that much snow. Let alone do any kind of analysis.

4. group501

group501 LawnSite Member

Did anyone say he was doing a lawn analysis? Don't thrash the guy because he is part of a franchise. At least he is measuring the lawn and not guessing. If he does not run the lead while it is hot don't you think his competition will. Franchises are independentally owned and are about as good as their owners. Just like any other business there are good and bad operations.

5. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

No they didn't. And it's pretty obvious they couldn't. Measuring a lawn is just part of giving a customer an honest intelligent evaluation. Grass type, soil conditions, and a whole host of other factors also come into the estimate of service if your doing your potential customer right. Unless you can see through snow how do you look for existing problems. How do you sell the customer on services like aeration or grub control without at least looking at their lawn. Is it ok to " guess "at everything else involved in his quote????? They day I worry about the competition beating me to a lead because they don't care to evaluate the property they want to service I'll sell out. By the way it don't matter if it's a franchise, a national company or Joe's Lawn care........ it's the wrong way to do business. If it's just about the numbers go for it. My bank account tells me we must be doing something right.

6. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I measured a condo project yesterday. I'm bad too.:cry:

7. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

When Scotts bought out the company I was working for, they instituted this practice. Why? I don't know. However, it was ridiculous and produced hardly any sales. It's just a huge waste of time, produces negative views of your company, and creates a very unhealthy work environment for your employees because they're the ones who have to look like fools in the cold weather.

It was one of the many reasons why I quit working for them. I fired them, they didn't fire me!

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, jsut plain stupid . nothing could convince me to ever go to a lawn to bid anything in the snow or ice. unless jessica simpson was there in a bathing suit runnig around loosing parts of it!!! that would encourage me, but pretty unlikely

9. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Why can't he measure in the snow? No he can't do an analysis, but he's probably selling the 5 step program plus aeration anyway. Maybe the customer told this company exactly what he/she wanted based on what was done before in order to compare prices?

10. group501

group501 LawnSite Member

I guess that whether you measure a lawn in the snow is dependent on your individual business model. After we measure a lawn in the winter we leave a contract behind which explains exactly what is covered by our program and what the prospective customer can expect from our services. Every time that we service the lawn we evaluate the property and leave a feedback sheet for the customer along with the service information sheet. I leave a statement on the bottom of our contract which states that a complete lawn analysis will be done with the first service after the snow has melted. I don't understand why others would let the lead get cold (pun intended).