1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Franchizing be careful

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by 1PRO, Oct 8, 2006.

1. 1PRO

1PRO LawnSite Member

This might be a very sticky post here but i have inquired about a lawn care franchise last year my story is short...i worked on this new venture for 8 months talked to some franchise(s) asked questions and worked with one man in their office the whole time mainly on the phone they wanted me to do sub work for them untill i became a franchise owner so i bidded on 40 or so accounts for them took out a loan for the franchise fees bought a new truck etc.....we took a flight down to the meeting things seemed tense a little stuffy about a day discussed some topics ate lunch then took a flight back and you wouldn't belevie the way they treated me like when i got back it made me very angry to see them treat me and my company the way the did and they also fired the man that i had deloveloped a business relationship with that man called me on a sunday to see how he could help me.Well enough about them.

Thanks for loooking
  2. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I think it is like in grade school when the teacher would stop right at a good part reading so everyone would be interested the next day... so when do we get the rest though?
  4. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

I would never look at a franchise for this type of industry, but maybe it could work for others

ANYWAY.....PLEASE CALL OUT THE NAME OF THE COMPANY so anyone else can know who not to deal with as well....If your story is true (I have no reason to think it is not) then you will be doing EVERYONE a service by NAMING THE COMPANY IN QUESTION!
  5. 1PRO

1PRO LawnSite Member

Well now if i did that then i need to seek my consel and incur fees lets see if the company replys and i dought they will.
  6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

your post was a ramble at best... it was really jumpy and did not make much sense....
  7. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Try puncuation and a dictionary. Here's some help:
    doubt- v. To be uncertain about something.
  8. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :hammerhead: :waving:
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

You would have to seek counsel because you said a company treated you coldly????????
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I believe the catch here is some folks fail to understand is that with a franchise, you do not technically pwn your own business (they do). Although you're allowed to exercise considerable control in some areas, there are other areas in which you must do as they say, it all has to do with their contract, basically.

It's just like if I bought a Pizza Hut franchise, now I may 'own' a restaurant, but I am not free to serve whatever I want: I have to follow Pizza Hut Inc's standards and guidelines in everything I do, thou I think I have leverage over the prices and some other things, still if I violate certain rules or principles then I am in breach of the contract and they can terminate my rights as a franchisee (i.e.: close my door.)

The advantage is that for some folks, it's a bit like having training wheels on a bicycle but it depends on the franchise and this is to say while some likely provide excellent support exactly in the areas where you need it the most, it is just as likely that some fail miserably in this department...

Which all of the above means you're taking a gamble, but then that part is no different from going it alone, I do feel confident the headaches are no better or worse from one point of view than the other, the frustration is going to be there regardless...

Personally I would never own a franchise, I hate that feeling of not being the ultimate power in control, of having someone above me who can and will not only tell me different, but to whom people can complain to and I can catch it coming down my hill... So, like has been mentioned, it's not for everybody.