Frankenstein's Sweeper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFLS, Apr 12, 2008.

1. DFLS

DFLS LawnSite Senior Member

1996 John Deere F725 front mower with a MB brush. The dealer said it couldn't be done but I used a logsplitter hydraulic valve from Northern tapped into the closed flow hydraulic system(replaced the stock lift/lower valve) to make it power up and down ( with the help of a Fischer plow hydraulic ram) and the left / right is from the stock JD lift/lower hydraulic ram relocated to the sweeper with some pins and welding (I know the welding is sloppy but it works). Hoses made custom with quick connects. In the summer the mower goes back on and the stock JD lift/lower ram gets reinstalled on the mower deck with 2 pins. Throttle speed varies the brush speed. Can go real slow with brush rotation due to the torque of the 22 hp. Kawasaki twin. Perfect if it is windy or when you do not want to fling the debris way out front. It is just like plowing.

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG

IMG_1246.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG

IMG_1246.JPG

2. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

Thats quite the invention, good job. You must have thought about that one for some time. I like to do things like that myself. So does the broom run of the pto then I would assume, or is it hydrolic.

3. DFLS

Yes PTO shaft drive. Yes took some thought but I did get all the hoses / fittings in one trip though for about $200. Hydro valve was around $80 from Northern back about 8 years ago.

4. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

DFLS, Thats sweet. I like tinker and fab stuff when I get the time:confused:

What do you use the broom for? Mainly snow or other cleanup jobs?

Marc

5. DFLS

Spring cleanup thatching and road sand removal from the grass at the edge of the street. No snow.

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Good job! Dealers know it all don't they?
    By the way, did you have to add any weight to the rear? Tony

7. DFLS

200 lbs to the rear, JD weights. The sweeper fits stock machines, but there is no up/down control and there is a pin with 7 holes for angles. PITA. So I made it very user friendly with my modifications.

8. echo8287

echo8287 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

I like it. Nice job on figuring that out. I like to make stuff like that too. I've got an old Toyota that one of my daughter's hit a deer in, that I want to make a leaf shredder out of. Using mainly the motor and tranny, David

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Kick azz job man. I can see myself having quite a few jobs that would go very quickly with that. Maybe you should get the patent lawyer involved today. Nice work.

10. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

Looks great. I'm sure your hard work will pay dividends.