1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fre-Flo Device

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jul 4, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

This unit was installed on the 4" main line that feeds one of our stadium's field zones. It's basically a catalytic converter that removes calcium and other things from the water and allows for better water penetration, etc. I'm not concerned about its claims but one thing worries me. The contractor that installed it didn't call for a shut-down of the main line and his guys cut through the 4" line while it was still hot. Fortunately we were on site and were able to shut the isolation valve down that was only 10' away before it caused any permanent damage. Hopefully they did a good job of putting this together because this section of the main line is also on a booster pump that actuates via a flow sensor about 5' upstream.

Community Stadium Fre-Flo Device IV-01.jpg

Community Stadium Fre-Flo Device IV-02.jpg
  2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

They don't know to shut water off first? What kind of contractors are they?
  3. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

1. Is there a friction loss?
    2. what kind of stone is that?
  4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh: What a waste of money.

I took a look at their claims and they make so many inaccurate statements it's not even funny.

They are also listed as one of the crackpot companies to watch out for.

I have done alot of research on alternatives to sodium/potassium softening. The best approach I have seen is magnetics, but has mixed results. I suspect the effectiveness of magnetic treatment depends largely on the chemical and mineral makeup of your water. In any event, you can construct your own magnetic treatment module at a very low cost to see if it will work.

If anyone is interested in my findings I can post some links.
  5. Fascinating! The guy who wrote that stuff is in Vancouver Canada. Maybe he will join us when we invade that 1500/zone peninsula:canadaflag: :usflag:
  6. PurpHaze

I couldn't tell you because I don't speak much Spanish. :)

The same ones that can't work on a site when students are present because their workers haven't passed background checks. :rolleyes:
  7. PurpHaze

Has to be but their site only puts up the glowing reports, not the technical details.

Hard??? :laugh: Whatever is in that bag. A concrete vault is supposed to be installed for easy access.
  8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, that guy knows his stuff.

He also has an extensive page on magnetics and all the B.S. claims that have been made. I based my conclusion on studies that have shown dramatic results using mag treatment, both in my region, and others.

I can construct a module for about $30 bucks, so it's a small price to pay if I can avoid traditional salt solutions.

Here's a link to the DIY page on how to build it.

9. PurpHaze

I wholeheartedly agree... but it's not my call. An identical unit was installed at our other stadium but was soon pulled because it cut the pressure so drastically as there's not a booster pump on that system. Come to think of it this may be THAT unit. Kinda funny that it has a district page/line number on it already. I'll check later this week. :)
  10. PurpHaze

I think this device would work well in conjunction with Peter's glasses. :laugh: