1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

freakin liar!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EZTarget, Jun 14, 2004.

1. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

2weeks ago voicemail:
    Hi, this is sally jo. I got your flier and I am in need of lawn service. I am looking for regular weekly service. Please call me at xxx-xxxx.

Got two more VMs - dang phone was on the fritz so I didnt get the calls.

Called Sally.
    Hi, this is EZTarget. Got your message that you need service. Sorry I didnt return call, phone is messed up from the storms.

Sally:NP, I need my lawn mowed by Saturday because we have some people coming over. Can you do it? We do want regular service.

Sure, I can come by tonight (Friday eve) and give you a price. If it is acceptable, I will mow.

Show up, give price - added a few extra cause the backyard access is by steps so I have to drag the mower up and down them. They did'nt even flinch on the price so I felt comfortable about it.

I mowed and spent an extra 20minutes or so makin sure it looked really good. Had to clean up some crap from all the storms we have had. Yard looked great, she even commented on it and brought me a drink half way through.

See ya next week. Sally: OK great.

More storms. Sally calls and says don't come because yard is a marsh and power company is cutting trees and you won't be able to cut. She says that she is going out of town for the weekend and will touch base on Monday.

So it is Monday. I am calling customers so I decide to give her a ring. She answered her cell phone and says she is running errands and will have to check the yard to see and call me back. Well it has been 10 days and I can assure you it would be quite tall now with all the rain. I said OK do that.

It aint far from my house and I was goin that way to the store so I took a little detour down her street to find a nice freshly cut lawn! :angry: - but not surprised at all

I hate liars. I don't have a problem getting undercut as much as being lied too. Chances are any one of you here with a crew could do it cheaper - I AINT underbiddin for noone. And I do good work.

And they run their own biz (and do quite well) home inspections so I figured they would be a little more standupish.

Anyways, I am sure most of you have experienced this. My first. I am sure it won't be the last. And I thought this was gonna be a good one.
  2. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't had that happen yet, hope not for awhile or at all. That sucks when you put your hard work into something just to have someone take advantage of it. Don't worry though, I'm sure you'll will get 2 more good ones after losing her A$$.
  3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

If I sense that someone is shooting me some crap just to get me to mow it one time, I treat it like a cleanup, especially if it is overgrown and hasn't been edged in a while. In other words, I make it worth my while just in case they are b.s.ers.
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Who said you were undercut? Right away everyone assumes that. Maybe they just used you for one cut. In a bind, mower broke, whatever. People do lie, get used to it.
  5. EZTarget

yea i wondered at first but then i saw their mower in the shed and it didnt look worthy. lawn wasnt in bad shape at all. as a matter of fact it was really nice. they too did'nt look like or act like that type but you never know. i mean we talked for a good 15 minutes about various topics. i had a real good feeling walking away from there thinking i had another nice lawn to do.
    oh well, another argument for Bobby's service agreements i guess.
  6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

We have a winner.

Without a signed contract you get one time pricing. < Period!
  7. EZTarget

true. it was an assumption. maybe they got a new mower. yes people lie all the time. and people get pissed and vent too all the time. that is what i am doing. sharing a story. venting a bit. you see, i aspire to have stories like Bobby G. :D
  8. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

EZ, don't listen to that bull. Yes people lie, but hell NO, don't ever get used to it. When you went over there, you gave her a honest price for honest work and that is what you should have received in return and don't ever settle for less. Keep people honest by being honest with yourself first, treat business as business and you'll always be fine. price accordingly and always look out for the the PITA's and yes we all mis-fire once in awhile, but don't ever get used to people lying, get used to making more people honest.
  9. EZTarget

thanks. i know people lie but she could have saved me and her a few phone calls by just sayin - we decided to get a mower, johhny down the street is gonna do it, or someone quoted us a cheaper price. it wouldnt have been any worse than the time i have spent on other quotes where i did'nt get the work (more than i have accounts). and i really doubt that i was way off unless s

i think for grins i am going to keep callin her till she comes up with the right answer! listen to her squirm a bit. i will be polite and just say "did'nt hear from you so i wanted to check back because i am sure your lawn is getting kind of tall" and see what happens.
  10. EZTarget

well duuh!