Freaking John Deere 930/950 A vs. M vs. R

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by dc33, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

The '10, '11 & '12 models all have the cross porting in them.

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah you do. if you raise your seat and look down in there you'll see these metal tubes going back and forth between the pumps/motors. they are to aid in keeping the oil cool when mowing side to side on hills. they move the oil so you have cooler oil going into the pump/motor that's doing most of the work on a hill.

you wouldn't notice a difference performance wise but in longevity of your pumps and motors it would make a difference. if you mow alot of hills then the cross porting is something you certainly would want to have. if you mow mostly just flat areas all the time then it's probably not really needed.

3. andy'slawncare

andy'slawncare LawnSite Member

Didn't even know I had this on my machine I guess. Don't have many hills around here and trade off the machines every other year anyways.

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Both of your Z925's have the cross porting in them. Now you have a bargaining chip when you sell or trade.:drinkup:

5. chris buck

chris buck LawnSite Member

Just bought one last week, hate the '13 model. Got lucky and found a '12 at another dealer still available. Shop around, there is still a couple out there. The 950a is a bad machine!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. andy'slawncare

andy'slawncare LawnSite Member

Chris: What did you not like about the '13 machine compared to '12?

7. chris buck

I hate the convenience package, and they re did the looks of the overall machine. I just don't think it looks as good. Looks more like the old 700 series....757,777 type
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. LawnCareNoobie

LawnCareNoobie LawnSite Senior Member

Personally I like how the mowers look. You can still add a foot pedal for deck lift on the c and c. You can swap out the hand brake for the foot brake as well. A standard 930M ( 60" deck 24.5 hp?) is cheaper than the 925a (same deck size and engine).

Personally I don't care much for the C and C. All I want is my regular handle bars and my foot brake.

They offer three seats now. The standard, semi suspension and full suspension.

Middle scalping wheels are different. They look bigger. They have one bolt that goes straight through with a nut at the end. Much better than the other stupid design they had with the hook at the end.

9. dc33

dc33 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

theres just something that ticks me off about having to order accesories I dont want or need, pay 13k for, then pay even more to buy the foot pedal or deck lift when they just as easily could have shipped it the way I wanted and for less than having to deal with some dipshits "brilliant" idea to make classes for mowers and essentually build down the mower (no crossporting etc) to get options I want. This isnt some Merceds where to get the heated and cooled seats I need the heated stearing wheel I dont want, this is bare bones basic crap that is not a luxery but a simple matter of my business and lively hood they are making difficult for no reason other than utter stupidity because they cant simply cant leave well enough along or just offer options like every freakin other manufacture does.
    I hope whomever came up with this loses his job and fast!

10. chris buck

May be wrong on this, but I don't we are talking about the 925a, but the 950a. The 930m and the 950a is not the same engine