1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

freaking lowballers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookiemower, Aug 31, 2003.

1. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

i have 7 residential accounts all within 2-3 blocks of each other well some pos came trough with thier fliers this late in the season and had a set price of $15 dollars for every lawn one of my customers gave it to me:angry: i was pissing mad no everyone thinks im charging to much, these lawns are not that big but most are fenced and would require 36" decks and lots of trimming around fences all this a#* did was destroy next seasons prices because everyone thinks they can get there cuts EXTREMELY cheap luckly no one has really said anything though. some guys just dont get it they dont realize how setting prices so low ruins it for them and others because potential customers think we for nothing:angry: :rolleyes:
  2. rookiemower

sorry work for nothing
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

So what are you charging?
  4. rookiemower

20 25 30 which is is about right but 15 no matter how fast you cut is a bad price no matter what the volume
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Just explain quality versus cheap,blah,blah,blah.Explain to them that you get what you pay for in life.If they decide that fifteen is where they want to be then you don't want them as customers any way.
    Sounds like someone knows you started in the business and they don't want the competition so the're trying to buy you out of it.
  6. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have Liability and Works Comp Ins. If so tell your customers you have all this Ins. Thats way your cost is more and have them ask the other guy if he has insurance.
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Your profile says your in Chcago suburbs. I dont think that one guy putting out flyers for cheap lawncare will do all that much to prices in general. I am quite amussed when i see flyers like that.
  8. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Forget him. Just stay the course, do good work & watch as he doesn't last the rest of the year and you pick up his accounts.
  9. Lawnalternatives

Lawnalternatives LawnSite Member

I will not drop my trailer gate for any less than $20. I don't care if there are only three blades of grass to cut!

Wisdom comes through knowledge, not through age.
  10. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

In time those same customers that chose to pay for a cheaper service will call you and want to fix the "quality" cut those people provide.