Freaky e-mail.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mike Leary, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

One of my contractor buddies tells me work is dead up north; 27 guys bidding on a small job. I went through this "downturn" in the late seventies. How are you and your subs doing ?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I remember work.

3. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

We're in pretty good shape for this season; its next season that is the big worry for me. We've been pretty good at getting contracts signed and our commercial work for the season was booked last year before the big downturn started. Right now though, there is very little on the radar screen for bidding. As much as I really don't want to, I will likely have to be more aggressive in pursuing residential installs this season just to ensure that the year works out ok.

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Oil and Gas is king here. If your in drilling/construction, be glad you are working/have a job. The trucking/service guys are still swamped. Work as many hours as you want. OT is not a problem, etc. Driving a water truck looks better every day. If I could just get past the not loving what I do :(

5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Weve got our commercial maintenance lined up at 135% of last year, volumes wise.

Landed 125k worth of install work this month.

Things are looking pretty good for us here. Many others hurting around here, going down.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Last season ended real dead and Im thinking this season isnt going to be any better.

7. Good for you Matt. Cream rises to the top.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I think this year will be great for me again. We are going to send out a postcard to customers in the next couple weeks emphasizing water conservation and rising water rates. Then we'll send out our usual spring card 3-4 weeks later. I want to get the conservation part in their heads now.

We're probably going to lose out on people calling checking on rates this year, because there are more guys doing service now. Which doesn't bother me. But we're going to try and spend more time at each job doing the extras - raising and straightening heads, putting in proper nozzles in the rotors for MPR, teaching the HOs how to operate the controller PROPERLY so they can adjust throughout out the year better.

Peter - we're going to push more for the upgrades. :)

9. Good for you Dana.

ps I've started a Blog. My contribution to the economy. Hope you find it worthwhile.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

After running it over in your diatribes. Getting a little sick of what seemed to be a pretty cool contractor.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009