Free $50-100 gift card?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chop Stuff Up, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

A marketing approach for new contracts... Free $50 or $100 gift card of your choice with 1 year mowing service. Think this would be effective or could it backfire? They wouldn't get the gift card until the end of season. Amount of card would depend on bid.

2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Why not just let them take that amount off the last billing statement of the season? It would save you the trouble of having to round up a bunch of gift cards.

3. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

To me...It would just attract the pita customers

4. Chop Stuff Up

Its something they can hold in hand. I don't know, I just figured people like that kind of stuff.

5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I guess I can understand that line of thinking. I don't know how much of a selling point it would be with me. Let me ask you this... Would something like that influence your decision making? Odds are if you wouldn't bite, neither will they...

6. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

You are on the right track.....and could work well....I offer all my customers that pay half,or all of their contract up front 5% to 10% off......Just depends on the contract....dont want to offer a $10,000 a year contract 10% off.....that would be scary.....But offer them something thats not going to cost you as much as what you have in you budget....Offer a free Lime Treatmeant.....Lime $4.00 at most...time $0.00.....Lost on contract..$4.00.....Makes good business sense to me......I have even offered free aerations, but I have my own aerator, and I usually will pull it while I am servicing the lawn....

7. Chop Stuff Up

You need a chemical applicator's license for lime, correct?

8. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

You are correct my man....I lime twice a year.....Will Lime Feb 25, First cuts start March 5th, and First treatments of the season start the week of March 12th.....Gives me Four Quick visit to increase and get the cash flow started.....

9. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmm, the gift card idea is kind of clever. Where you make it to? A restaurant, gas station maybe

10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Hook up with a restaurant and get them to give you a discount on the gift certificates. And make sure you only pay for the certificates when the people actually use them. Lots of people will lose the certificates before they use them.