free aeration with season contract

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by aclassic, Apr 15, 2005.

1. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

i'm thinking ahead for this fall and how i'd like to set up some contracts for next year before next year. i came up short on jobs this year and would like to pick some up before next year.
    i was thinking about offering a free aeration with signing of a contnract for the '06 season. i would definately take a hit this fall but it would help w/ next year.
    what do you all think? is this too scrubesk?

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

No, I don't think it is to scrubesk. A reptuable company offered the exact same thing in my area last year.

3. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I offered a 50% off aeration with seasonal agreement, and it picked up a few new customers. 50% pretty much covered my costs to do the aerations so it wasnt to bad of a hit.

Kevin

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Risky to provide a service this year for promised work next year if I understand your post correctly. You will have a signed contract, but if they dont use you, they dont use you. I would try a free or 50% aeration this fall with a season (or whats left of it) contract now.

5. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

marko,
    so what your saying is i should offer the 1/2 off aeration (for the fall) when i do my primary advertising in the spring? sounds good, but how many people are really thinking about whether they want their lawn aerated or not in the spring. i understand what your saying about being hesitant about signing a contract w/ someone that early before the next season, but what if i required them to make the first months payment w/ the aeration, it may seem to them that they're paying more for the aeration, but when april rolls around they dont pay anything till may.
    but yes, that could still be problematic. this year i'll probably just advertise regular aeration just to get my name out, discout next year.

6. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Another big problem is "giving" the service away. You can sell the customer if he calls, and if he askes for an estimate. Thats a lot of If's though. When you are face to face you can say that it is valued at xxx$. The most benificial time to aerate is in the late summer/early fall. This way you can sell an overseeding/starter fert too! Just give the grass time to become hardy before winter gets here. Offer it this year, but get paid for your mowing during the year, then do the aeration at the end. I would go for 50% off though. Aerating is time consuming on a rental unit and you will have that expense too unless you own one. Good luck

7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

not a bad idea... it would also encourage them to stay with you. i saw someone questioned whether anybody is thinking about their fall projects now, and I wonder the same thing. for advertising what if you said... free aeration with mowing agreement? then when you are working out the agreement, it will come up that the aeration works best when it is done in the fall.

8. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, I would't give it away for free, it's a good money maker up here. But, but if u wanted to, offer a spring and fall aeration package with a summer season contract where you will give them the fall aeration at 50% off

9. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

yeah,
    i dont know if a lot of people advertise that they do aeration around here, i'll try to do a large ad campaign this summer/fall and see what i can pick up. my spring ad campaign flopped, maybe this will do better. i know that most people think they need it, and dont want to do it, i just dont think many of them know where to turn for some good aeration.

10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

did your ad flop or do you have too high of pricing? I have people coming in around here undercutting last years rates.
    My phone has been ringing like crazy, can't seem to land any.
    I lower my rate figuring I Can get this one and yup you guessed it, someone goes lower. can't win when idiots are out there doing an acre and a half with a ton of trimming for 100 bucks a month, ya a month guaranteed at least twice a month.