Free Clean-up with new service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by randy_will, Feb 27, 2005.

1. randy_will

randy_will LawnSite Member

Or Write your own deal!

Recently estimated a clean up and monthly service on a small residential. Dropped by the house without owners present, estimated what needed to be done and left the estimate on the door.

Owner calls and doesn't understand the clean up fee. ($250.00). I explain the beds are full of weeds and the shrubs and hedges need trimming, disposal fees, etc... Nothing out of the norm.

Owner agrees to the monthly, but says if I want the business I'll have to do the clean up for free. Thanked him for the opportunity and told him I would have to pass.

Stopped to get gas this morning and who should own the station but the guy I did this bid for. Went to pay for my coffee and told him I only wanted the coffee if it included two free donuts.

I got the coffee, donuts, and an apology for free. I also got the job as originally quoted.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

but the problem is, now you are coming off looking like the @ss since he did give them to you for free.

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Thats a funny story. I bet you didn't think when you got up this morning and went for coffee that you would end up with a new client and two free donuts.

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

That's an awesome story. You beat him at his own game. Great job!!!

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

No actually hes looking alot like bobby g.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I like it. What do you have to lose? I really don't see a problem with the free coffee and donuts if he offered them. It isnt like you asked to fill your tank for free if you bought a coffee.
    That gave me a smile. payup

7. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

It made me laugh as well.

I don't think that it made him look bad either. Two donuts don't cost $250.00. Great sell and good luck.

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I would have insisted to pay for the donuts. It was the point of it and I guess you drove the point home quite well.

It is nice when Karma works out for you like that.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

excellent. bout time one of you nerds grew some gonads. i would have taken the donuts also. now, want to really do it right? don't show up for the cleanup or the rest of the service. screw him. he's in businesss, he knew damn well what he was doing in the first place. you didn't "show him the light", he will just try and bone you down the road.

10. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I recently did an estimate....and the guy wanted me to do monthly steel blade edging for free......I asked him if when he had his car worked on the mechanic just gave him regular free service.

He said "no" then he said another LCO had offered it to him for free. I said go for it. I know the other service and they are the most un-reliable outfit I have seen.

They deserve each other.

Derek