Free Crabgrass Application?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Farbio, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Farbio

Farbio LawnSite Member

What do you put on your spring flyers or postcards to trigger the customer to make that call?

I was thinking about putting: Free Crabgrass Application when you sign up for a season of fert. Crabgrass can be a problem in our area and it would be easy to mix in with the first or second fert.

Any other thoughts?

2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

The wording leads me to believe you do not have your pesticide applicators license? If no... do NOT advertise applying any pesticides... including pre-emergent.

3. Perfect Image TLM

Perfect Image TLM LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe free lawn analysis or sometimes I see people around here give free grub control treaments...

4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Free crabgrass control?????? at the beginning of a contract???????
    Free Grub control??????????

Are you guys serious??????

Give away two of the most expensive applications??????
    Good luck.....

How about a free LIME application at the END of the contract

Now I know why I lose customers, friggin yahoos.:hammerhead:

5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

:laugh: I was thinking the same thing. Anyone priced Drive lately? How about insecticides/fungicides? I have done Lime apps at no charge for "good" customers as a favor...occasionally. One thing I learned a long time ago is there is nothing in this world that's FREE. I have offered a %off first app for full program sign up.

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I hear ya guys! I have "free applications"...especially with the price of fert and combo products!

I got a little secret on free grub control though and may try it this year for NEW customers.

I am going to tell them is they sign up for my 5 step program I will give them a "free" grub control and tell them the savings (say $120 or so to make them think you are SAVING them big money). Deal is...they are already paying for the fert app (round 3) so all I am "giving" them is the merit!

I may limit it to a 15K lawn as I could get hurt pretty bad on a large lawn.

Then the BIG thing is they will be singed up for a 5 step program from there on out!

What are you thoughts on that?

Learned it from the REAL GREEN guys and I think it will work great!

7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

When done that way probably not a bad idea since only a percentage of the combo product is insecticide. It's like like giving a % discount. As long as your combo product isn't through the roof...sure.

8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Some guys are giving away 6 apps. free....just to get the mowing.

Free is marketing..if you know how.

9. Farbio

Farbio LawnSite Member

You guys are right! I do not have an applicators license. My business is a partnership and my partner and one of our employees are the pros on the spray side of things. But I am in charge of the advertising and marketing. So, I am looking for a way to catch a persons attention and actually call us.

I have been to a couple seminars from well respected people in the landscape industry and they said it is a waste to put out flyers, postcards, etc. without a special deal, pricing, or something to drive them to make that call. It is worthless to put something out there justing listing your services and hoping they will call.

We take pride in our work and do not offer things for free very often, unless it makes sense. The person must sign up for a 5 step program to recieve something for free. We would then try to upsell the new customer on mowing, pruning, cleanups, landscape enhancements, other spray services, etc.

Is this that crazy? We can price in the small cost of the free product into other services after they sign up.

10. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

That is great for guys that mow, I get those fliers all the time. What about the guys that dont mow and cant "bury" the cost somewhere else?? My whole business if predicated on 4-6 step programs. So I have and will continue to "explain" to those idiots that "give away" fert programs to get mowing how dumb that is. Give away 2 yards of mulch with every 10 yard order. That is never "included" with a mowing package anyway, so upsell them and do you giveaway on the upsell. Give away 2 mowings. Give away the winterizer. Give away a PART of the program not the whole damn thing.

I dont disagree that you cant just list your services and expect someone to pick up the phone. What I am saying is dont give away the farm.

Rodney's idea is a decent concept but I look at it a little different.
    I get a full round for a merit app. I only get 50% of a round for a lime app if it is part of a fert round. If they have a pH problem then it is a full app

Therefore, if merit is say $30 more per bag that is $30 out of pocket and $90 lost revenue based on the $125 suggested price. So it is $125 lost. If you do lime/fert combo it will only cost $5 more per bag and $60 in revenue. I still got the customer on the hook with a freebie and it cost me 1/2 as much to do it.

AND they dont get the freebie until the end of the contract so they cant cancel after the freebie and then you are really out of luck.

Just food for thought.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009