FREE CUTS ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Nov 9, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

ANY ONE EVER GIVE ONE FREE CUT TO GET A FEEL FOR THE PROPERTY? I'M THINKING OF GIVING A CHURCH A FREE CUT TO SEE HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE TO CUT AND HOW ROUGH THE LAWN IS AND TO SHOW THEM THE QUALITY I CAN GIVE THEM. THEN I CAN BE SURE IF IT WILL BE WORTH IT IN THE LONG RUN.
    SO WHAT DO YOU GUY'S THINK? WOULD YOU OR WOULDN'T YOU?
    THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE.
    Mowman

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not happy thinking about giving anything I do for free,especially if you have to use equipt. Someone in a earlier post said they do it and it works out for them to get jobs. I do quality work, have references and I believe that should be enough. If they don`t accept your price look at the time that is wasted, but if it is a large job then mabey you would know how to price one in the future.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you're going to do this, (bad policy) then I would atleast do it at "half price" whatever you think it may be. This way, atleast you'll cover your expenses to do it. Breaking even is better than spending.

4. Samurai WeedWacker

Samurai WeedWacker LawnSite Member

Free mowing is a bad idea. Can't you point them toward examples of your work?

5. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

I would recommend doing it at a redued price first time. Your reduced price will probably give them the motavation to let you work on their property

6. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

We tried it a few years ago at 1/2 price first mowing. Did not work out. Today, we don't have any of those clients. They assumed we would do a lot of extras for free or at discounted rate.

7. Ground Rules

Ground Rules LawnSite Member

Discount maybe but not free. Get referrals for them.

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I wouldn't cut an entire lawn for free. I have given samples of different cutting heights, but we're talking only a few feet. Walk the property 1 or 2 times, then add some time to your estimate for error.

9. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would"nt cut anything for free, tell them you will cut it for an hourly charge and then after your finished you will no what to charge them!!!!

10. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Free is bad idea!

I have done jobs first time at a set price like $60.00 if I not sure if I can do it in an hour. Telling the customer I'd try it for that. Gives you money as well as chance to see how much it will take. I have had it go both ways, were they were happy with the set price and so was I, so it was kept at that price. And, I have had a few that took longer and they did not want to pay more and I walked away, but not empty handed.

It also shows to many that you are willing to try and accomodate them by working with them on getting a fair price agreed upon.