Free Estimates!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bluesteel, Feb 16, 2003.

1. LOL, I always laugh when I see that phrase in a lawn service advertisement. Does anyone here actually charge people for an estimate?
  2. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

Anytime you can use the word free in marketing you only increase the readers attention and increase your responce rate. Its a great help in getting the prospect to the next step- calling you- it says you have no risk in calling me, "I have nothing to lose by getting an estimate."
  3. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

There are numerous companies in our area who charge for estimates. Mainly on irrigation, & landscape projects etc. As far as residential maintenance I don't think anyone really charges for that. I agree totally with nu83. The word FREE is enticing...:blob4:
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Free Estimates are nothing more than another cost/expense in doing business.

Looking over a yard to give a quote ain't exactly rocket science. It does take some smarts and a litttle bit of your time though. But it shouldn't take you all day either.
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I didn't even put this on my new business cards.
  6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not advertise free estimates, but all estimates are free. Many times callers will ask if it cost anything for me to come out.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Everybody gets charged, everybody that signs with me actually helps pay for all the turds that don't.
    Sorry for being so blunt but I couldn't think of a different word at the time.:eek:
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

one year, i got so aggrevated with price shoppers, i was getting about 15-20 calls a week, but only landing one here and there. so, on my message(answering machine) i quoted, "estimates are not free! the charge is $5, unless u take the job, then we will deduct the estimate fee." guess what? every person who called hung up without saying anything. free estimates are just part of this business i guess
  9. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I think anytime someone sees reads the word "FREE" they become leary. I prefer the term " NO CHARGE" Plus I think its stupid that people put free estimates on their cards or anything else. Its kinda like cutting edge its worn out. Plus nobody charges for estimates anyway.
  10. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen a lot of guys who charge for estimates. They get a lot of work built up and don't care if they get more. I also think charging for estimates would be a good way to get higher end accounts seeing the poor folk won't want to pay.

I don't care about doing grass estimates for free, but I get so sick of going to estimate seeding jobs etc., and you get there and they have 4 ft^2 that they want seeded. I get a lot of that in the winter from people who have cars crash in there lawn.

I wish everybody charged for estimates, because I would just start estimating full time, overbid everything and live off my estimate income. :D