1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Free fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Jul 6, 2004.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Anyone ever do this?

The reason I ask is I have a few clients whose front yard seem a little thin and in need of some food. They probably would respond well to some feeding and look better. If they look and grow better, my logic is that I look better (I place a lawn sign on some of my lawns after mowing)
  2. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

you will find most customers will pay a resonable fee for your service!
  3. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have enough profit in your mowing, this might work, make sure you get the owners permission before applying any type of chemicals to their property.

I would word the offer something on the order of your local fertilizer company offered you some new fertilizer to test, and you would like to use their property to test it, no obligation on their part.

That way you won't be de-valuing your services, and they won't come to expect you to do applications for free later on. Pllus when they see how good the yard looks, they will more than likely be willing to pay you later on for future applications.
  4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I like Turf Medic's idea. The only thing is be sure to tell them that the testing is just in regards to how effective it is compared to other fertilizers or you've been asked to do a product review, or something. . ."test" sounds like you are trying to see if it kills the grass. . .I know I wouldn't volunteer my lawn for a "test"
  5. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Your right "test" might scare off the customer, mention that you have used their products and have full faith in the company, new product for comparrison. However if you do tell them this PLEASE don't show up with scotts + bags, at least dump the fertilizer in your spreader before you get to the property and get rid of the bags. Don't want the customer to think you are feeding them a line of bs.