Free Gas...would you?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by soccer911, Jun 13, 2006.

1. soccer911

soccer911 LawnSite Member

My neighbor has a truck that is diesel and he filled it up yesterday and realized he put in regular. He siphoned his tank and offered me the gas for free. My question is there is about 23 gallons of regular gas mixed with 1-2 gallons of diesel would you be able to run that in a mower without problems?

Any advice

Kevin

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't do it. Better safe than sorry.

3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

If your machine requires 23 gallons of unleaded with 1-2 gallons of diesel then do it, if not why?

4. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Run it.

That would be in my boat's tank so quick it would make your head spin.

(There's probably more than 1-2 gal of diesel mixed in)

5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

sell it on street corner for $2 a gallon. someone will stop with an suv.

6. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

You could try putting half of it in your tank and topping off with good gas. If it runs fine, then do it again.

7. coyotekid

coyotekid LawnSite Member

Run it--should not hurt a thing. Diesel going into a gas engine in small concentrations will cause no ill side effects. The opposite process, burning gasoline in a diesel engine will cause major problems. The gas will destroy an injection pump in short order, among other things.

As long as the fuel is clean, I'd run it. The more you can dilute it with fresh, straight unleaded the better it will be, of course. You definitely won't harm anything on your mower in my opinion.

In the old days, it was a fairly common practice to mix a little diesel with gas to burn in gas engine agricultural equipment that tended to overheat in hot weather.

It was also common practice to mix some gasoline with diesel in extremely cold weather to reduce diesel's tendency to gel. However, we've almost completely quit doing that because gas "washes out" diesel fuel so bad that it removes most of the diesel's lubricity. As a result, injection pumps, injectors, and other fuel system components are really damaged in short order when burning gasoline.

8. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I can remember when as a teenager every now and then I would put a gallon of diesel into my gas tank and then fill it with gasoline.

No harm done but it smoked a lot and the rumor was it helped get rid of carbon.

If the gas mentioned above (23 gallons) had a couple gallons of diesel in it I'd use it but I'd dilute it by adding
    more gasoline. Maybe put a couple gallons of it with 3 gallons of pure gas.

I don't know of any problems diesel will cause these newer gasoline engines but someone reading this thread may .

Nosmo

9. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i would try the dilution idea without hesitation

10. Diablo

Diablo LawnSite Member

I did this when one knucklehead that worked for me filled my f-250 up with regular, course I freaked out and took the whole tank off the truck and drained everything, but we had no problems running the mix in any gasoline motors. :usflag: