Free horsepower!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dishboy, May 29, 2005.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I switched two cycle oil because I could not find Amsoil series 2000 racing oil any more . My local motorcycle shop stopped carrying it because of a few high performance sled engine failures. They recommended Redline snowmoble synthetic oil which you can premix. The cost is less than I was paying for the Amsoil. They use this oil in all of their modified HP engines.

My trimmer, blower and Suzuki Proline all increased power output, a very noticeable power increase, also everything is running smoother.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Humm.... now that's of interest.

So why do you think you feel more power?
    Do you think it's because the oil burns better?
    Or do you think it's because the oil is a superior slick lubricant?

I'm still running the Opti-2 oil with great sucess.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Seems like less friction, trimmer pulls more RPM's with same line length, Mower is mulching thick grass with higher RPM's, ground speed is up same gear. New blower is breaking in so this may be part of the story but pushing air with more velocity. Trimmer especially is running smoother.

I used to run Opti, but was getting exhaust port coking, got tired of doing port maintenence. Could not give a direct comparison of Opti- Redline oils but compared to the Amsoil noticable power increase accross the board. $ 32.99 per gallon, with Chevron supreme at 50 to one.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds good.
    Now, does this Redline oil have a fuel stabilizer in it?

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

If Opti-2 is mixed @ 100:1 there will be no coking problems. Mix it at 50:1 and it will cause more problems than just coking.

Our local Junior College operates around 75 pieces of 2 cycle equipment and everything is run on Opti-2 @ 100:1. They have several Shindaiwa trimmers and edgers that are 8 years old and several chain saws ranging from Shindaiwa 488's & 757's through Stihl 260's, 361's and 660's. All this equipment is operated at 100:1.

Be careful with the snow mobile oil because if it is for liquid cooled engines. Two cycle air cooled oil and two cycle water cooled oil use different base stocks.

Oldtimer

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I see that pennzoil has a 2 cycle oil that is approved for air and water cooled engines (from the same bottle) what are yalls thoughts on this?

7. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Be careful if you're using an oil that's made for a marine use. Make sure it's for air and water cooled engines. I know someone who toasted a chainsaw when they used mixed up gas using oil that was designed for a two stroke outboard engine.

8. Oldtimer

I have really never though about it before but Pennzoil 50:1 is used a lot in ultralights. The Rotax 2 stroke engines that are so popular are either air cooled or have air cooled cylinders with water cooled heads.

Oldtimer

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Pennzoil® Multi-Purpose
    2-Cycle Premium Engine Oil

A high performance 2-cycle engine oil meeting or exceeding the warranty requirements of all leading manufacturers of 2-cycle products including chain saws, lawn mowers, motorcycles and string trimmers, as well as outboard engines made by: Johnson/Evinrude, Mercury Marine, Yamaha, Suzuki, Nissan, Force/US Marine, Mariner, Sears and all other manufacturers requiring TC-W3® oil.

Pennzoil® Multi-Purpose 2-Cycle Premium Engine Oil is formulated to:

Protect against piston scuffing and ring sticking
    Help keep spark plugs and exhaust port clean
    Recommended for pre-mix, injector systems and direct injection systems. Good for water-cooled and air-cooled 2-cycle engines recommending NMMA TC-W3® products. Always follow the dilution ratio and oil performance level recommended in the owner’s manual. For any use where NMMA TC-W3®, TC-W II® or TC-W® oil is recommended.

This is from the web site for pennzoil, sorry if it seems I hi jacked this thread but I have tried to start a thread on this before and had no luck, Im just lookin for ways to keep cost down some and this oil is available at most gas stations also in my area
    thanx
    wayne

10. Oldtimer

I think that most air cooled 2 cycle engine manufacturers recommend against TCW oils. We have always recommended that our customers do not use any oil that is labeled TCW.

I reckon I need to catch up with all these newfangled products.

Oldtimer