Free Info to clients

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SprinklerGuy, Sep 13, 2006.

1. How do you guys feel about giving out free info to clients on draining their systems?

I know it is goodwill and all, but it is irritating to not realize that income.

I was planning on putting detailed draining instructions on my website for those that don't let me blowout....I wish I could charge for it.....

I am however going to ask them to register w/ their email address to look at the instructions, then I can capture their addy for periodic mailings and such...

anybody else feel this way?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I give them my phone number, and tell them where to shut off the system supply in the basement. After that, they are on their own.

3. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

No way am I going to tell someone how to shut down their irrigation system. This is why I have hired someone to answer the phones this year. They can pay the hourly rate and have me come out, or sorry our irrigation tecs only do house calls. think about it a lawyer won't tell you how to settle a dispute over the phone for free so why should we give our time away. Like said many times befor, your hourly rate reflects not only your expenses but also the years of knowledge you bring with you.

4. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

We show them how to turn the ball valve off and open the hose spigot on.
    But they usually call us anyway to let us do it.

We put a hose spigot in right after the ball valve to drain the system.

5. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

I tell everyone how to turn off their system. The main reason is there is no way I'm able to shut down every system I maintain- nor do I want to be held liable in any way when their backflow breaks. I also offer a blow-out discount if the customer turns off their system and drains the inside portion. That way I can hook up outside and blow the system out without the customer having to be home. For me this is a huge advantage. I can schedule these blowouts in between those customers that won't or can't turn off their own system.

6. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I feel like you won't be able to stop the people who want to try anyway... a quick search on google and they'll be able to find all they need... you may as well try to help them out... get that goodwill and try to explain to them that they need a bigger compressor than the one in their garage...

I also do guarantee against freeze damage and on my proposals for installs it says the system is only under warranty as long as we winterize the system

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I have draining instructions on my website, and I'll even talk a few good customers through it over the phone. If it's a new person and they don't know what to do, I won't tell them a thing. They have to pay for us to come out.