Free Landscaping Rocks

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by craftbender, May 8, 2008.

1. craftbender

craftbender LawnSite Member

My wife and I live just northeast of Pittsburgh, Pa. Often when driving around we see a lot of rocks on the side of the road that would work for our landscaping ideas, but we never see anyone picking them up. I have a Kubota BX24 with the front end loader and a backhoe that would be handy for picking them up.

I am wondering if anyone has ever done that, and also is there another source of rocks for the taking?
  2. NOOB

NOOB LawnSite Member

I had a friend got a felony for grabing buckets full of fresh cut mulch when a tree fell down on I95 that they chopped up and went back into the woods!!!
  3. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

the stones are state property or private property. You can't take them.
  4. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

Ouch! I knew a guy that used to pick up roadkill for their hides - wonder if he was subject to a felony :dizzy:.
  5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

You got to be careful about who's got the actual "authority" to give landscape boulders away, too.

I drove through a neighborhood just south of where we live and spotted a pile of beautiful rocks next to job site. I found the foreman at that specific house jobsite (who wasn't a "guest worker", like the rest of the crew :laugh:) and he said to go ahead and take whatever I wanted.

Well, the next I was loading some of these into my dump truck with my Case, the superintendent comes running up to me with bugged-out eyes and yells: "what in the #@*% are you doing" ?!?!