Free lawn mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CD landscaping, Apr 16, 2003.

1. CD landscaping

CD landscaping LawnSite Member

There is this guy in my town that every 5 th cut he will mow for free with no contract to and its not like the first fith free cut but every one the tenth and soo on i cant believe that he is making money i just cant believe it.:dizzy:

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

how much is he charging though per cut? He actually might make up the cost if he charges a lot for the other cuts. But I still wouldn't do it.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

If he charges $25 for a $20 lawn, he would still make the same amount of money and be able hook people with the magic word in advertising....FREE

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, exactly what I was saying. He will stay make up the cost and of course as monster garage would say "FREEBIE"

5. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

The only time I'll give a free cut ( and only 1 free cut ), is if the customer is willing to prepay for 10 cuts in the spring.

6. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) So in Texas the going rate is only 20-25, Id be in the big subs, biding on the 45-60 dollar lawns. Someone always trys to figure out a easy way to get jobs, good for him if he likes mowing 6xhow-ever many accounts he has,,,I don't work for free and don't work for 20-25 dollar jobs........Marks Mowing Service

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yea, there was a guy like that here, thought he would make money. he advertised, "1 free cut per month, every lawn $25."he was a one man op, also did landscaping like this:customer makes plan and picks out material, he arranges delivery, and provides labor(himself) for $100 for 8 hrs. did fert apps too, only fert. told customers he was applying chemicals, but was really only fertilizing(u know, weeds like nitrogen too). he got a million calls, took jobs from real lawn services, and he was gone in 4 months.

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

The real question is what is he charging these people for the other "paying" cuts? He could be making just as much money as you. The word "free" does suck a lot of people in.

Gravely_Man

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I just saw today a billboard on a major hwy near me advertise 1 free MONTH of mowing (for new account sign ups only):dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: I should have went into the building and asked around some???

10. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

One free month? thats almost a third of the mowing season round here ;)