FREE mow program

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Firstclasslawn, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Can someone please explain to me how the free mow program goes as far as getting new refferrals or getting new business, example how do I approach my customers and what do I say, Thank You guys
  2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i always send my "refferal bonus" (sp) sheet with the invoices each month...Usually i pick up one or two from existing customers each billing cycle.

I treat my customers to ONE free cut for a refferal.

3. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

I mentioned this in one of my previous threads, and had a lot of agreement.

I normally don't give free cuts for referrals. Instead I have a referral program, which gives the customers other things. Pretty standard is a gift Cert to a local restaurant.

Why do it this way? Becuase your existing customers who are giving you referrals, will remember that you sent them out to dinner on your dime. They will remember that, and be greatful for that a lot longer than they will remember a "credit" on their invoice.

It all comes out to the same amount of $ for you (you actually gain a tax deduction) and you build a lot more good-will and fond memories of you and your company. Some people prefer to save the money......but most enjoy a dinner with their spouse and will thank you for it. When you treat to dinner, they will thank you, for your thank you!

Hope this works for everyone as well as it has for me.
  4. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have offered 1 free cut with payment of 4 to get new customers. Got a bunch of new customers only one used the free cut cupon. I WILL NOT GIVE FIRST CUT FREE.
  5. venecular

venecular LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

How do you word the "gift Cert to a local restaurant"? Do you put this add in your daily invoice or on a separate advertisement?

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Are you saying that you had a lot of customers that had you mow for the first 4 weeks, received the free cut then cancelled you?

On my estimate forms I have a referral program outlined. Any weekly referalls that sign up before May 15th will receive one free cut at the end of the season. That is, one free cut per referral and they can have as many as they like, as long as my schedule will fit them in. I also offer a free winterizer application to each and every new client that signs with me that stays the complete season. I put this on the 5000 postcards that I sent out. I will of course honor it, but I had NOBODY ask about this at sign up in the spring. I also have had no referrals since the outlined referral program.

I like the idea of the free dinner, I think I will use that one.
  7. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I thought about the referral thing and was thinking of a walmart gift card for $20 dollars, does that seem like to much money.
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I dont think it does, but I still like the idea of a gift cert. for a restaurant better. $20 is a cheap price to pay for an account...very cheap. Of those poscards that were sent out, the accounts landed ending up costing me $500 each, the first year.
  9. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you go about wording this in advertising? One free dinner per referral? Do you give the customer a choice? Can you work out a deal with a restaurant to buy a bunch of these at a time? I like this idea a lot.
  10. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

How about "HAVE DINNER ON US!"
    For each referral who signs a service agreement,you receive a free $100 gift certificate at(Insert nice restaraunt of your choice)
    $100 bucks for a yearly contract is cheap.