Free Price Estimator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by juststarting023, Jan 15, 2003.

1. juststarting023

juststarting023 LawnSite Member

well i've been a member about a year and maybe this is a good thing i dont post to often but i've read alot of what you guys have to say and learn something new everytime i'm on here.
    what i do see alot of are guys who complain about guys underbidding them. maybe a program like this will help alot of guys that dont know how to estimate a job out and put most of us on the same page as far as pricing goes. thats what we need
    a little love not hate .last year was my first year in the bizz and i can honestly say i under estimated 25% of my 28 customers but you can be sure they are getting a price increase this year!!!!!
    so i low balled somebody in my area sh-t happens . i low balled them but i lost money on 7 customers, who wins? not me ,right.
    i've got my own little system now BUT I ALWAYS NEED TO NOW WHAT EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING THAT IS HOW WE KEEP THE MARKET COMPETITIVE AND WE MAKE THE MONEY WE DO...

WE ARE THE LAWN GODS!!!!
    (SHOW A LITTLE LOVE ) ;)

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

This horse really has been beat before and probably will in the future.
    There are so many variables involved in pricing that no one will EVER be on the same page. People have different standards and expectations in life. Contrary to believe, money isn't everything to a lot of people. That alone, will create conflicting price structures and can never be overcome. Also, there are different "cost of living" numbers from state to state.

I don't understand sometimes what you guys expect here. Would it be right for me to say that guys would be happy if there was a pole held and every single member here charged $65 per yard of double ground oak mulch installed? Is that what we need to do? Or every hour of mowing billed out at $60? It's not going to happen. Trying to educate people on pricing will have some effect, but, plain and simple, there are some stupid people that will never understand.
    I'm not coming at you on this subject, I'm just saying it won't happen and that's a little bit of what business is about. Making more than the other guy and learning how to do so. Then, keeping that secret to yourself. :)

3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, nothing like some good old price fixing. Everyone thinks Capitalism is a good idea for the other guy.
    On a more reasonable note, as was pointed out, there are too many variables, business, environmental and personal.
    For better or worse, we are in a business where the price of any given job may be set by the dumbest competitor. Learn from your mistakes and the mistakes of others, but don't comprise pricing integrety. Know your "walk away price" and let the other guy loose money.

5. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

One of the best things I've read here lately.

6. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I don't want to offend anyone here so please don't take any of this the wrong way. A new guy just getting started has no way of knowing what to charge in his area until he get's going. If he figures his costs, it could very well put him in the "lowball" range. I wouldn't want anyone to post exact prices for me, just a range so I could get a better idea. There might be $25 difference between properties of the same size in my area. The variables are just too numerous to come out with a one size fits all approach to this. Maybe gross sales per day would be a better way to handle the pricing question. I like the lawn and landscape thing they do every year with the state of the industry. It gives us an average for the country.

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

RANDY
    So then you dont agree with trying to help show how some of these figures are attained???

I agree that what wont work in my area works quite well in Mike Bs, and that what works here might not work in Hoss'. But dont you think that its better to try to show people how what works for some, might be a formula that makes them more $$$ even if the numbers are different???