1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Free Round-Up and String Trimming Scrubs.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

There is a Scrub Operation that Cuts a Lawn across the Street from where we Cut a Series of Properties....Every Single Week I Have Noticed this Scrub Operation String Trimming the Most Obvious Weeds that Grow from the Cracks of the Customers Driveway....Probably 20-30 Seconds Every Week...

After 12 Weeks of Seeing this it Starts to Bother me Almost as Much as Guys Running Handheld Blowers or Curved Shaft Trimmers w/Guards so I go Over to Him and say "Hey Chief...Why Don't You Just Give that Area a Shot of Round-Up ?"

He Says...."Customer don't pay for spraying"

I Just Smile and Nod and Back Away Slowly......
  2. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Why were you walking backwards? Were you showing him the 'proper' way to string trim? You're a fool.
  3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

So I bother you because I use a handheld blower? Man, you just ruined my day... I feel horrible now. This might happen to be a stupid question but what is wrong with a handheld blower? Most of the time a handheld saves me more time than if I would have to pull out my backpack blower, crank it up and throw it on my shoulders to use. I havent met a property yet that I could have saves more than 20 seconds on by using a backpack over a handheld. To me, bothersome people are ones who decide out of left field to take time out of their obviously busy day to come over and tell me how I should be doing my job. Let the guy trim the weeds if he wants to. At least the guy is taking care of them every week instead of leaving them there to look like roadblocks when they grow 3 feet tall.
  4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Woody82986...As Someone who Uses a Handheld its Obvious You Miss the Point....

Had Bozo Spent 40 Seconds and 50 cents Worth of Round-Up 12 Weeks Prior he Could Have Saved Himself the Trouble of Wacking them Every Week but "Customer don't pay for spraying".......

I Didn't Fell Safe until I Got Back to my Side of the Street...He Smelled Bad Too..
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well I kind of understand.
    See I use Round-up today because I got tired of catching rocks with my teeth when weed-eating gravel driveways but truly the ONLY reason I do it is because Round-up is cheaper than string + 2-mix fuel in the long run.
    Still, nobody explained this to me and I had to learn the hard way. If some dude had come up to me asking me some question about round-up back in them days, I would've likely told'm the same thing.

Had dude instead bothered to explain to me HOW you buy an entire GALLON of super-concentrated Round-up for 103 dollars because you can make roughly 100 gallons of solution WITH it and had dude bothered to show me how to mix it, and the fact that a deck//patio sprayer is cheaper (and larger) than a garden sprayer and showed me the in-outs of using round-up vs. weed-eating, then yes, I might've seen the light.
    But I don't expect anyone to see the light while I'm being a funny, sarcastic LCO with nothing better to do than laugh at the rest so I can feel better inside. Of course I do it, too, but yes it is wrong.
  6. DavesLawnCarePlus

DavesLawnCarePlus LawnSite Member

Okay... So I've been reading this forum for 8 whole months now. Every single day. I'm starting to get tired of your crap about people being a scrub. If they're out working and they choose not to spend the money on a Backpack blower and you don't contract their services, then why should you care. I don't even own a backpack blower yet and I've been managing to mow lawns all summer. From what you say, I must be a scrub too! If you have time to go across the road and bother someone who's trying to get their work done so they can get on to the next yard, you're backpack blower must be the key to your success because I don't have time for visiting the guy across the street when I'm mowing. I guess I must need a backpack blower.

And as for curved shaft trimmers with guards, I happen to have one of those too... sits on the trailer just in case the straight shaft breaks. You obviously have too much time on your hands, start booking more lawns.

Dave Morgan
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Hobbs and Knobs

You actually use Pesticides???? I was under the impression you were anti-Pesticide. Roundup is a herbicide which fall under Pesticides.
  8. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

You know I fail to see the problem except the guy did not up sell his services.

First if someone pays me to cut, edge, and trim that is ALL I do. No RU in cracks nothing. The guy is right they are not paying for it. They also are not paing to remove grass and weeds from the cracks. I would not have touched them, period. Then when they asked I would up sell to them.

Now for the backpack deal. I have two and do not own a hand held blower. However, if someone chooses to use one it does not make them a scrub and you and everyone else is wrong to judge anyone based on the type of equipment they use.

I don't judge them on clothes, trailers, equipment, or lack of equipment.

I judge them on if they are licensed, insured, knowledgeable, and do good work.

Also, I DO NOT JUDGE THEM ON PRICES! That's right I said it. Let me explain quickly. It is THEIR BUSINESS not yours. You charge what you need to charge and justify the cost by the quality of work you do. Leave them alone and let them either learn or hang themselves and quit complaining.
  9. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

i look at scrubs like this...at least they are out there working and not collectiong well fare
  10. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

but I don't have certification for spraying