Free!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The landscaper, Feb 3, 2005.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Got your attention didn't it?

Put things like this in your advertising, you will peak peoples interest.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

When I see the word "free", I pass it by because I know there is some catch to it. Nothing is free in life, and when someone offers you something "free", there are hidden costs involved to make up for the "free" item/service.
    I do agree though some people are gullible enough to buy into the whole free thing.

3. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

i agree. Free is like having to listen for 2 hours to someone trying to sell you a timeshare just to get tickets to a FREE meal :blob3:

4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

i see disappointment on the horizon when i see it, and the more exclamation points, the more i anticipate a scam.

i'd be interested to see if anyone opened this thread with the anticipation that they wouldn't actually be disappointed?

5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with the above posts. When I see the word free, I think of scam.

6. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Someone is giving up something.

7. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Radio Shack has free flashlights in October for Halloween, but you have to buy batteries to get the free flashlight. Perfect example.

8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with the response to the word "free". Instead, try a large percentage off some service. Everyone wants to save money but most people know there's no free lunch.

9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

yes, free usually enters most peoples minds as a "too good to be true" tactic. discounts are usually more sucessful.

10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I sure as hell don't want to give away anything for free. IMO an ideal customer is not one that will sign up because something is free.