Freebies and discounts tax deductable?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Jan 28, 2005.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Say you are offering 3 free mowings with yearly contract. Ok...say it's an average lawn of $30 per mow. Could you write off $90 as an advertising expense? What if you actually charged for say 30 mowings for the season and then at the end of the season wrote them a check for $90....would it matter if you did it this way?

What about a discount the same way?

Just curious? Personally, I look at a discount or freebie as part of the advertising expense, I just not sure if Uncle Sam has the same view as I do.

Thanks
    Matt

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Probably not Matt. My take would be you should talk to your accountant about this...especially if ya do alot of it too.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I just called my accountant (my dad, who is a retired IRS auditer) and he said either way...it is deductable...so to speak. After he explained it to me...it's so simple and now I feel like it was a stupid question on my part....lol. 30 mowings @ $30 a mow = $900 for the year. You can give them 27 mowings and pay income tax on that $810 or collect the $900, deduct the $90 and pay income tax on the same $810. Now that I am thinking about it...I don't know what the hell I was thinking...not enough sleep latley.

Goodnight
    Matt