FreeHAND 1.75G---- looking for some firsthand reviews

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassman177, Jul 3, 2009.

1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i saw an ad for this new chemistry pre emergent for landscapes and was looking online at the label and was impressed withthe controlled weeds. it included yellow nutsedge of all things at the medium rate!!!!

i am very interested in this for next year and am getting pricing on monday, but want to know if any of you have used this or know anymore about it? we currently use Snapshot with decent results, but nutsedge is a huge problem and you can see the interest here. thanks everyone!

2. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

We used strictly freehand this year. So far the results have been excellent. The best part is, that it's a better product, and about $20.00 a bag cheaper than snapshot!

3. grassman177

that is very good to hear. thanks very much for the reply. any others used it and specifically how does it do on nutsedge where previously was a problem?

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I think that's the same product I saw at JDL/Lesco a few weeks ago. He had just got it in and it cought my eye. The sales guy also mentioned about the nutsedge control... He didn't say it was cheap though... I thought he said it was pretty pricey compared to snapshot. But I may be way off as I'm just going by what I think I remember about something that happened a few weeks ago, lol.

5. grassman177

much more than snapshot and i will have to charge more for the service, but similar or cheaper and i am very interested in this. pendi is great on shallow rooted to medium rooted pre -emergemnce control. can injure turf roots if slightly over applied, great for the landscape though for this reason, whatout for the perrenials though i would think with the higher rates. any more feedback ?

6. grassman177

bump.........................

7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I've had 2-3 calls in the last week for weed control in beds. This is an add-on service that could increase my bottom line nicely if done with the right products to minimize work and maximize profits.. I've been at a loss on how to price it so I called JDL today to price Snapshot as the first step in this process. My rep suggested Freehand. He said it was comparable in price to Snapshot and I believe he said it would cover 10-15k/50lb bag depending on rates. He said he's been hearing good things from the guys using it so it looks like it will probably be in my arsenal next year if everything shakes out.

8. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

just looked it up on jdl/lesco web,
    it has pendi in it as well as dimethenamid-p
    $93/bag

middle rate of 3.4 lbs/k for nutsedge and others
    not sure on bag 37.5 or 50 lbs

9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know if I'd totally trust that price on the website. It'd be best to call for a quote from your Rep. Those web prices have been known to cause sticker shock that in some cases can lead to heart attack!:laugh:

10. grassman177

nice to see this thread brought back to life. so far my rep at helena has never heard of freehand as i have asked. is there any more comments on the efectivness of this product especially the nutsedge thing as it has begun to really take hold in some landscapes and i end up just pulling that dang stuff as it always seems to want to grown IN the bushes. thanks