Freehand vs. Software

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by trailboss, Nov 10, 2001.

1. trailboss

trailboss LawnSite Member

I am curious what most of you think is better, hand drawn or computer printed design. I have drawn some designs and I have also used software. The good thing about drawing one by hand is that it is obvious you put time and effort into the design. On the other hand a computer image is a little cleaner and looks very modern.
    I am curious what most of you use.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!!:confused:

2. ianc

ianc LawnSite Member

It would definatly be software!
    I need the professional look with a quick design turnaround,
    don't have alot of time to sit at a desk/computer for plans - so when I do things happen quickly

Here is a mini-golf cource I did last week using Landscape Illustrator 2001
    completed the concept plan in 2.5 hrs

http://www.lsisoft.com/sample/totaldone.jpg

3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: what i do is if the customer wants comp. design they'll have to pay for it at are 1st meeting, otherwise you'll spend hours taking digital pictures and designing the plan you give them the plan w/ your price and they'll turn around w/ your plan and shop the best $, then your screwed. i do this b/c i've been paid for my work already put into it and if they deside not to use me i lost nothing, if they deside to use me i take what they spent on design and use it as part of their deposit. otherwise i just give them a plant list.T

4. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

No contest: Use the computer.

Even if you are not proficient and can do it by hand as quickly, you will become proficient in time. AND, you can EDIT!! Can't do that freehand. GG is right to charge for this. You can credit the fee if the work is accepted if you want to, but otherwise you just encourage el Cheapo to try to do the easy part themselves. This may keep you from wasting a lot of time.

5. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I do all my landscape design by hand on a 40 year old drafting table. I have become very good at doing clean and easy to read and understand designs on paper with pen. I even color in the final plans.. and get a very professional look.. However they are very timeconsuming to prepare.. AND I NEVER GIVE DESIGNS to customers, not even if they pay , then they only get a copy.. I guess its' what your comfortable with .. Im comfortable with my had drafted designs so I will continue to use them until i cant' aford to spend the time on them anymore.. LOL

6. mattingly

mattingly LawnSite Member

I do hand designs but would much rather get into computer design. The problem here is that good programs cost money. What have some of you used that is cost effective and easy to use. I like the prolandscape software but its soooo expensive. I like the ability of the computer software to give you a this is what it will look like image. Even though I have had a high percent success on selling all designs i think it'd be much easier to upsale with computer image. It would also be something I could use to entice diy'ers to buy more from my garden center.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Help

I need to get into the 21st century. What are some of the better programs??? I saw the camera thing at the growers show in Orlando. Can you age the landscape to show now and after a couple of years??? I would hate to sell a job off a pic that shows mature plants that I can not get. The picture thing is real good but I think you still need a plot plan. Are there any programs that can use the Fla. Plant Selector??? Any and all ideals accepted Please educate Me. Thanks

8. ianc

ianc LawnSite Member

I use Landscape illustrator 2001

at http://www.lsisoft.com - there is the ability to download a 30-day trial

can do plan - imaging views

9. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I tried to download a copy but something happens to it each time. Not sure what the problem is but it happens about 10min into download.

10. ianc

ianc LawnSite Member

below are the instructions for downloading manegers

follow the instructions below - these download managers assist in the large download

Recommended order of operations: for INTERNET EXPLORER BROWSERS
    1) Make sure your system has the following - 800x600 pixels - 16bit high colour - 100 megs of disk space - 2 meg video card and also win95 win98 or 2000.
    2) Visit this site and Download/Install - GET RIGHT
    http://www.getright.com
    This utility assists with the download by eliminating aborted downloads due to line- drop and timeout issues.
    3) Choose a low bandwidth time to download (eg late evening - early morning). Approximatly 90 minutes on a 38.8 modem.

Recommended order of operations: for NETSCAPE BROWSERS
    1) Make sure your system has the following - 800x600 pixels - 16bit high colour - 100 megs of disk space - 2 meg video card and also win95 win98 or 2000.
    2) Visit this site and Download/Install - NETSCAPE SMART DOWNLOAD
    http://home.netscape.com/download/smartdownload.html?cp=djucc7
    This utility assists with the download by eliminating aborted downloads due to line- drop and timeout issues.
    3) Choose a low bandwidth time to download (eg late evening - early morning). Approximatly 90 minutes on a 38.8 modem.-----