Freeway Roostertails

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acute Cut, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

At the end of a long day i might end up with half to full load of grass. I do alot of residentials with walk this year and am collecting more again. I was going down the freeway and noticed that all the traffic was quite a ways behind me. I was only doing 55 in a 60. Reason: As i was doing a whopping 55 i was letting the wind disperse all my grass clippings in a nice rooster tail behind me. I had one person drive by me and give me a dirty look. I deserved it totally. i know that.

How do yall keep the grass from hitting the fan so to speak? I dont have any tie downs but am looking at installing them soon. Look forward to hearing what yall have to recommend.

2. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

In Michigan you must have your load tarped or get a ticket.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

In my area people do that with their household garbage! the less they get to the dump with, the less they have to unload! DISGUSTING!

as a LEO I have torn through many a bag of household garbage and identified the rightful owner. they then get the opportunity to come and "re-take possession" of their "lost belongings" or they can see me at the courthouse at 9:00am in about 30 days!

GEO

4. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

In Rowan County if you show up at the dump without your load covered you will be turned away and told to come back with it covered. That way you drive home and lose even more crap. My fatherinlaw done this the other day.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

around here if you do that,
    you are no different than
    all the farmers that do it all the time . just part of country life. im talking grass not trash.
    better yet wait til corn time , the corn is all over the pavement.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Do you have to bag it? Try mulching or double blades. I refuse to bag grass because after you've left a lawn, you still have to contend with the clippings. So your still working on that lawn until your trucks unloaded.

7. MikeGA

MikeGA LawnSite Member

We cover our corn up, mostly cotton scattered down the road, put a tarp over it, put it in a truck with a cover over it and you can still track it to the gin.

8. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I do mulch with my 52" Exmark. I bag with my 21" on the smaller residential customers. It doesnt mulch as good as the exmark so i pick it up. no one has any sort of contraption to hold the grass in?

9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

"You might be a redneck"!

I've seen it done, of course I'VE never done it before.

10. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Mesh Truck Covers

Manufactured and sold by J.Lamco, Inc.,Tel 302-422-7531...

I have had one for 2 years now and use it often, works great! They are made 14' wide and you buy it by the running foot length.

A friend of mine could have bought two to fit his pick up for the price of his ticket for driving with an uncovered load..

Gene