Freeze Damage...A little insight please

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mojob, May 7, 2008.

1. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

I had freeze damage on a section of main line at this apartment complex I take care of. I've blown out the system the last two winters and this is the first time with damage. Anyway, I dug up the area today and found that they ran this section of the main down hill and then just capped it at the bottom of the hill. So, this section never gets blown out and the entire section is above the frost line. Why did it break this winter? This system is pretty old and has gone through many a winter. Can PVC handle a number of freeze/thaw cycles before cracking?

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you have a deduct meter for irrigation, you really don't know when it sustained
    freeze damage. Did it crack along the piping? PVC can take some serious stuff, but it
    could have cracked years ago & the air compressor finally took it out. Can you (A)
    cut the pipe free somewhere or do you need it down the road?, (B) if you need it, install
    a boiler drain at the end, spot a valve box & open it for either gravity-drain or compressor. I guess it might have been cracked from the git.

3. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. It never leaked in the past, so I'm thinking it cracked during this last winter. It cracked in several places, along a 30' section. I traced it back to its first crack, which was at the highest point in elevation, and capped it there. It should be ok, I would think.

4. Mike Leary

Was it schedule 40? :)

5. nylan8888

nylan8888 LawnSite Member

Serious question because I don't know. Do you guys not use king drains up north?

6. Mike Leary

King drains....:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

7. nylan8888

Mike, all kidding aside could you give me a little insight?

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Waste of water to drain after every run if a lateral. Sometimes on manifolds or mainlines, but not on commercial.

9. nylan8888

Almost every job here is spec'ed with King drain on all laterals and main. But then our frost line in Oklahoma is average 8". We put them on all systems, commercial and residential.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

replaced one today. One year old. Wouldn't stop leaking. On copper leading into PVB