Freeze damage

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Dec 1, 2005.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I can walk through any subdivision here and look at the backflow preventers and probably 50% of them have had damage at one time. Probably more than 50%. Either the ball valves have been replaced, copper or PVC has a patch, homeowner shoved silicone up into the bonnet area, the top to the PVB is missing which indicates they've repaired it and lost the cover. When I'm bored and driving I will look on the sides of homes for the BFP and try to see damage. Saw 2 broken bonnets yesterday, and another that was leaking water somewhere.

A little preventive maintenance goes a long way. I have 3 copper or BFP repairs to do still, but I'm putting it off until tomorrow.

2. sprinklerhead

sprinklerhead LawnSite Member
    from MI.

its normal . its been like that for the last 20 or so years tha i can remeber!

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Here in buried Doublecheck land, we don't have that problem :)

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Wait'll till the doublechecks get swapped out for PVBs or RPZs - it will be a whole new world.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Replaced a Watts PVB yesterday with a Febco. It was left on at a vacant home and froze. The owner apparently chipped all the ice off it. All the ice chunks could have filled a regular bathtub. I wish I could have seen it encasing the PVB.

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Dang... Would have been a good picture to share with this warm weather guy.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

There is one photo running around the web, and I think I or someone posted it here quite a while ago. If someone has it please post again.

It's a photo of the inside of a garage that had a pipe burst and covered everything in there with a few inches of ice. Both cars included.

8. sprinklerhead

sprinklerhead LawnSite Member
    from MI.

Yeah i seen pics like that was it there a Ferrari with a bunch of ice covering it? that happen up north in the u.p. Mi.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

It might have been a Ferrari. And I do think it was in Michigan or Minnesota.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

3 more calls from yesterday and today. Can't do a thing about it now. Cold as heck here and will be for about a week. Things are frozen by now. Too bad, call in the spring for us to fix.