Freeze damage

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SprinklerGuy, May 10, 2007.

1. Freeze damage found today coming out of a 50 foot long sleeve at an HOA....the landscaper blew it out.....this may be a low spot....or it may have been too far from the blow out point.....hard to say....

But...needless to say...it is going to suck fixing this..someone else did this years ago as evidenced by the cuts in asphalt...

I am tackling this Friday...gonna try and pull the old out and shove the new in.....I have attempted this successfully with 1.5 inch pipe several times....but it aint friggin easy......it is going to suck...but it is a City street and I don't want to bother with those suckers.

I will post pics of how we do it.....should be a fun thread......

sleeve 001.jpg

sleeve 003.jpg

sleeve 005.jpg

2. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

Is this pipe breaking in an area where tires are constantly running it over? Possible poor back fill is breaking the pipe, not poor winterizations...

Backfill pipe with 6 - 12 inches of clean sand to protect the pipe then go to your gravel pack.

Good luck!

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Glad to see that others get the schmucky stuff I run into regularly. :laugh:

Keep us posted Tony.

Run HDPE through the sleeve. :)

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Piece of cake Tony :)

Use some of those PVC fittings you were going to chuck.

5. Midlo Snow Maker

Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member

noway man that has freeze crack written all over it

6. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Have you ever seen SDR-21 bedded in gravel that has been crushed? Looks a lot like that picture too

7. Midlo Snow Maker

Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member

8. bicmudpuppy

So, your an absolute expert on freeze damage and would submit that compaction pressure in gravel surround could never cause this type of cracking? Because to link to your previous erroneous statement as verifiable proof is a straight path to that which can never be fixed...............

9. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I won't claim absolute expertise in freeze damage, or on PVC piping, but that crack pattern is pretty much identical to every piece of freeze damage PVC I've pulled out of the ground

10. bicmudpuppy

I agree, this is what freeze damage looks like. It is also exactly what a collapsed pipe in gravel under a drive or roadway looks like when it is compacted. This is why we use or should use sleeves instead of pulling pipe and wire directly through on a bore shot. With a little age, pvc (even that thick wall sch40 stuff) gets to be brittle. If the pvc is bedded in gravel and settling and then compaction occur, when the pipe gives out, you have a picture very similar to the one we are shown here. Hey, it might also be freeze damage.

I bet you dimes to otter pops that it doesn't mead didly to Tony what caused the problem. He just gets to fix it.