freeze damage

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenworldh20, May 4, 2003.

1. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

here is a pic of freeze damage. the client waited until it was too late to winterize the system. this was the result.

freeze damage.jpg

2. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Did the valves break also? or was it just the PVC

3. greenworldh20

just the pvc. valves seem to be in great condition...system is only 2 years old.

go figure. if i had installed an o ring manifold, the repair would have taken 1/10 of the time.

brian

4. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

what is a O-ring manifold ?

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

An o-ring manifold is my prefernce as well. Instead of glue together manifold tees and/or ells, they are made using swivels and have o-rings inside. Basically all the tees screw together and they screw onto the valve. The swivel is like a union that allows you to remove the tee or the valve if there is a problem. Rather than cutting out the entire manifold.

This probably isn't as practical with the satellite valve system like Harold uses with a mainline and multiple valves throughout the yard. But when you have multiple valves in one box, it is the only way to go.

The brand I use is DURA.

6. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

I make my manifolds the old fashioned way.......pvc slip tees and pvc male adaptors. I think the fewer threaded fittings the better.

I've tried the o-ring manifold, but i don't trust those.

I've tried those pvc slip/male adaptor all in one deals......those are the worst

7. greenworldh20

the o-ring manifold is still relatively new...but there have been few problems with it. servicing a system with o-ring manifolds is a dream!!!

we charge extra for oring manifolds, due to their price.

brian

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

How long have you been doing the o-ring manifolds? I've been doing them since 1994.

9. greenworldh20

dana,

they have been on the market for a while, but in the beginning, the would always leak. overhere, the o-ring would 'dry-rot' in a few short seasons. we have extreme tempature spikes: very hot in july and august, very cold in december-january. well, to make a long story short, they added some type of oil to the o-ring where it is more durable. this is what the suppliers told us.

they have become quite popular over here in the past few years.
    we always try to upsell customers on the oring manifold.

brian

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I will try to take some photos soon and post. We went to a home Tuesday to make repairs. Entire PVC system was ABOVE ground. Homeowner had bought the home in January. We replaced 100' of 3/4" PVC due to freezing. No auto drains and not blown out. What a mess, but I saved a lot of the PVC that was shattered.