Freeze proof Silcocks

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by sheshovel, Jun 2, 2006.

1. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Hey anybody know what the replacement seat washers look like for freeze proof sillcocks and or hydrants ? This town never has anything I need! I have been all over town and all they tell me is to buy "An assortment of faucet washers" I know damn well that faucet washers are not what I need.
    I just hate to have to remove it and leave this old lady with her main turned off while I drive all the way back to town and search the three places that might have the washer and might not.
    It is spraying water out where the rod goes into the nutlike thingie thats right before the actuall sillcock(hosebib). Thanks!

2. Sorry She..wish I could help ya.....The only time I ever had trouble with one of those darn things is when I turned around to get the ants off my leg and my torch "torched" the plastic asv piece thingamabob on one of those thingies....I know what those look like ;)

Nice bike btw.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

you have tried tightening that "nutlike thingie" already? This usually solves the problem there... If not then you have to re-pack it with this threadlike stuff, for the life of me I can't think of what it's called... I'm NOT a plumber, and actually... neither are you! You need to be careful doing work on peoples plumbing without a license like that...

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Packing. It's called packing.

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

6. sheshovel

Boy you guys are such a big help! Actually tightening a leak can make things worse. I know what packing is. But I also know that they have a replaceable seat washer. Well I guiess I will just have to remove it and drive all over the mountains looking for one to fit or I think I will just replace the whole thing. End up being cheaper than the gas I will use looking for the washer at about 15.00 a pop for replacement .

7. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

If its that hard to find why dont ya just unscrew the silcock outa the wall and replace the unit?

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

LOL... You've tamed down a little? :hammerhead:

I'd just replace it. At California gas prices and you driving a pickup you'll be money ahead. :)

9. sheshovel

Yea I already fiqured that out..don't you guys read well?
    Tamed down?Who ME? NEVER!

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We carry a handfull of sillcocks for this. Its way easier to replace than repair on those.

BTW, if it is leaking from between the stem and the packing nut, then you need to put new packing (or teflon) on the threads and tighten the nut, no need to remove the entire stem.

If the sillcock just won't shutoff, then you need to replace the washer, or perhaps even the seat.

Remember, the tighter the packing nut, the harder it will be to turn the handle.

Sounds like you just need to repack and tighten the packing nut. No parts needed there.