Freightliner Fl-70

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, Oct 31, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Is there something I don't know about FREIGHTLINER FL-70 trucks? I'm finding ones I really like for around $25,000 with dumps already on them. Heck even one for under $8,000 ( http://www.trucktraderonline.com/caddetail.html?/ad-cache/4/5/9/85445159.htm ).......who knows what that ones issues are but for kicks anyway.

Here is more of what I like:

-Big 33kGVW http://adcache.trucktraderonline.com/4/3/1/84440831.htm

-Smaller 26kGWV (I like this one particularly) http://adcache.trucktraderonline.com/4/5/7/86362857.htm

So lets see....Cummins engine, Allison tranny.......what am I missing here? Why don't I see more of these trucks in the industry? Now I'm a Chevy guy but that last link I really like. And on a "looks" note.....I like them as much if not more than Chevy and def more than International (not the new model with the bling bling grill) or Ford.

2. tthomass

from N. VA

should I look at something other than specifically the FL-70........those are just what seem to be around the most when I do see them

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The market is flooded with used FL Freightliners they really are not a good truck they rattle and squeek. Freightliner built these trucks cheap and fast get them built get them sold. Companys/people bought them because they are a cheap basic truck.

Just don't expect much if you buy one.

4. Just buy the damn thing !!! I'm tired of walking from job site to job site !! Those trailers are getting heavy !!! OWW my back !!

5. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

A couple guys here have them with no problems, I forget the guys username on here but he has two frieghtliners don't know the models though. I'd personally go with the 1999.

6. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the 7 speed manual. The Allison is expensive to repair and causes bad mpg. Basically, what GR said about build quality is accurate. But, the styling of the old FL is classic. The Lo Pro option makes the whole thing look chopped, which is nice.

Its the little things that kill you on these 90's vintage medium duty freightliners. One week, I replaced a fuel pump solenoid, the next week a washer pump and turn signal switch, the next week it was ready for PM....

All in all, I am thrilled to own mine despite all its glitches. A medium duty takes your game to a new level.

I'm thinking next truck will be an International, extended cab 4 X 4.
    :walking:

7. tthomass

from N. VA

go to class...............graduate and then you can work, forever

8. tthomass

from N. VA

the one i want has the 6 speed manual tranny...............is there some real benefit or diff between it and the 7speed manual tranny?

9. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Mostly, your top end will be affected. Your RPM's will be lower at highway speeds than the same truck with fewer gears.

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you were going with a truck on air I would rather have a 8spd or a 10spd roadranger easier to shift and better fuel mileage. A 6spd your rpm is up and down like a yoyo. If you are going with a fullsize medium duty not the low pro go with the ISC Cummins its more power than the ISB the ISC is a better engine. It does have cam bearing problems but that can be prevented with regular oil changes. The FLs with the 3126 Cat have been a little troublesome with the HUEI injection system.

I don't know why Freightliner made the FLs so cheaply the trucks look nice they look like a truck. Anybody I know that has a FL has the same complaint of squeeks and rattles with the lack of quality.