1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Freightliner FL70 vs Int 4700

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by 21eagle, Sep 26, 2012.

1. 21eagle

21eagle LawnSite Member

Not afraid of an older truck as long as its clean. What motor was in early 90's? Any motors/trannys to stay away from? Found a great deal on a early 90's freightliner FL 70 has 160k miles pretty clean under 10,000$. Good/bad problem is I need a truck within 2 weeks have a job lined up will pay for 1/2 the truck.

2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I would get an international with a DT466 and a 6+ tranny. I have driven a 4900 and 4400 that had that combo and were 33k gross. The 466 is a bulletproof motor and the 6+ is a pretty easy tranny. I have never towed with that setup so I cant really comment on that.

3. 21eagle

21eagle LawnSite Member

What about a S1900 international with a dt466?

4. Danny Boy

Danny Boy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 95 4900 with the 466, just over a year of ownership now and it has been great.. Wont get anywhere too fast but you will always get there.
    I just delivered two machines on it tonight (u15 kubota, takeuchi tl230 with two attachments on a 6400 pound eager beaver trailer PLUS 7.5 tons of clear crush in the bow with no issues, sure could feel the weight though:)

And heres the kicker, I moved 1 1/2 years ago to Gravel rats neighbourhood and he said it cannot be done:rolleyes:

5. 21eagle

21eagle LawnSite Member

How about. 1998 single axle international with a M11 330hp has 500k miles on it asking 11,000$?

6. Looking Good Lawn Service

Looking Good Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

i would stay away from the 6plus 1 trans, garbage, prone to shaking and rattling and then going out of gear, then its toast....go for the fuller 6spd, its as bullet proof as you can get for a small transmission

7. 21eagle

21eagle LawnSite Member

What tranny would be in a 1998 FL 70 5.9 cummins 5 speed???
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Go for an 8 speed. Bulletproof in my opinion.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. SP Landscaping

SP Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have a 99 fl70 5.9 with the 6 speed fuller. I wish it was geared lower...can't take off on a hill with a full load. I would definetly look for a 8LL.
    Mine was a box truck the guy converted into a dump. Brand new 14 ft beau rock box, air gate electric tarp and a 20,000lb drop axel. The guy did all the work than the buyer backed out so he put a lean on it and after he got the title in his name he sold it to me for what he had into it....$20,000