Freightliner M2 etc

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, May 1, 2008.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

What do ya'll know about the M2? Engine options, issues, power etc? Is it just the Mercedes or is CAT available? I know nothing on the Mercedes.

Shop I usually go to isn't a fan of Freightliner period but I'm exploring my options before buying a new truck.

The International 4300 was a good truck and a good engine but just lacked the power. I know of higher HP models but appears that they only turned up the boost in regards to keeping with the DT466. I know there is a 530 avaiable but know nothing about it either.
  2. lawnproslawncare

lawnproslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

The mercedes gets excellent fuel mileage, the cats cheaper to repair. I will say the mercedes has power on both the low end and top end.
  3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The M2 is a okay truck but with any Freightliner you have to buy them new you never want to buy a used Freighliner.

As for the Mercedes they are good till it comes time to fix them then is cha ching. It doesn't really matter nowwadays with these emmission motors anything breaks it costs alot to repair.
  4. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what the Mercedes repair costs are but the Cat(3126 or is it C7?) is not cheap, very finicky. I have the 3116 version, 250hp and it flies, gets decent mileage but sounds like it has gravel in it. If you are looking to keep a truck long time the Cat may not be good, now if you are buying new and get rid of it 5-6 years later it wouldn't matter.
  5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I'm looking for a used truck and under 150k miles.

Came across my truck today.....'02 4300 w/ DT466, airbrakes, 254" wb and 129k miles for $25,000.......prob could get for $22,500. Its a 6spd, as was my truck, but I'm thinking I want to go automatic this time.
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Did you sell your International with the switch and go ?

Why don't you go with a Pete 330 and never have to worry about a poor quality truck. Get one with the ISC Cummins you should be all set.
  7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The DT530 you speak of is usually put in the heavier specd out 4300's but usually in the 4400's. A lot of the heating oil trucks have them. The M2's are availible both with Cat and Mercedes engines. From what I have heard, The mercedes can be expensive to repair but they do considerably better on fuel. Also, the visibility is huge compared to your international.
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, but it was rumored that the mercedes engines were emmisson compliant in 07 and maybe in 08 (not sure about 08) without adding any componets to them. A lot of towing upfitters bough a lot of the chasis for that reason.

TThomas, if you are looking for a used M2 there is a International dealer in NE philly that has a few of them used. They were lease turn ins from Penske. 6speeds, CAT C7 and I'm pretty sure under 150k. Air brakes and such with your standard outfitted fleet base cab.
  9. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Uh oh...

No, he had an unfortunate situation with one of his drivers. The result was the truck frame bending severely, everyone else is fine (driver, T190, S n G system, cab, etc). Todd can expand on this if needed.
  10. SouthernLandworks

SouthernLandworks LawnSite Member

Motors in general I would go with the DT530. We have a Mercedes in one of our engines at the fire dept. and it will fly no doubt about it but my thing is who are you gonna find that works on Mercedes deisels besides mercedes?? at least around here anyways. We also have a large tanker with the 530 and it will walk the dog all day long, plenty of power and a good reliable motor. The dt466 is a little underpowered in my opinion. The Cats are expensive up front and can guzzle up some fuel in a hurry. The Cummins is a nice option, very reliable, decent power(pending on which motor) and last forever. I have always liked the 8.3L Ford/Cummins motor coupled to a six speed. The mercedes that we have in actually in an M2 and I like that truck more than the internationals. Just my 2 cents.